Mazda Zero Electrics

WallerZ

Hi All,

I have been doing battle with the electrics on my Mx5 based Zero, unfortunately having never done anything like this I am stabbing in the dark as a whole. I have some things identified and plugged in, others randomly guessed and appear to be in the right place....but not knowing exactly what I'm doing, I will be needing some help.

I was wondering if anyone around the Tamworth Area was willing to help (looking at Saturday/Sunday 20th/21st June July) to help sort the electrics out to a stage where I can have a circuit and some power through the system maybe fully sorted?

Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided as well as bacon/egg/sausage sandwiches :) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Zach

Edited by WallerZ

It's ok, I managed to get the engine to crank last night so I have a starting point. Just got to wire in the fuel pumps and it should soon be ready to go...or at least run the engine and figure out which bits aren't working! Slowly getting there....

I have a wiring guide, so it's helping with a number of things. I've not marked anything up as it's either plugged in, awaiting plugging in or I have no idea what it is and it's just waiting there. I believe most of the things left are aircon/radio/interior lights/sensor related...All of which are gone.

Speaking to some guys at work, I'm going to look at some diagnostics software and adaptor to plug into the Mx5 diagnostics plug, see what's what depending on the price of the kit, maybe see if there is a trained person to take a look too....just ideas until I know if its properly sorted or running etc

Rip out the diagnostics circuits you won't need them.....white and black wires if I'm not mistaken.

Use the Madraki diagrams and trace wire colours. You will find Mazda used different colour wires for each individual circuit which makes tracing wires easy.

Black wires including Black red, Black yellow, Black green, Black white, Black blue are all earths, just for different circuits.

Red/White is the main ignition on positive feed. You will find this goes to virtually every circuit and sensor.

Remove stereo wires

Power windows

Heated rear screen

Heaters/ blowers

Heated seats

Central locking

Electric mirrors/ windows etc etc

As I said to you before, it may seem daunting at first, but take things slowly and methodically and you will be suprised at how simple/ logical it all becomes. Engine loom will not really need touching.

HTH 8)

If I remember Zac is using standard ECU so OBD will be very useful.

I have a elm bluetooth device, can read data on phone if neccesary, but easier on laptop.

Yes I know, same thing that I have on mine but he will find that by not using some of the sensors such as EVAP unit (not required) and some of the ancillary circuits the diagnostics system will be bogged down in non- serious error messages, making diagnostic system next to useless. Really not worth leaving it in. Nothing too complex on the wiring/ engine that can't be diagnosed manually.

HTH

Yes I know, same thing that I have on mine but he will find that by not using some of the sensors such as EVAP unit (not required) and some of the ancillary circuits the diagnostics system will be bogged down in non- serious error messages, making diagnostic system next to useless. Really not worth leaving it in. Nothing too complex on the wiring/ engine that can't be diagnosed manually.

HTH

appreciate ECU will get confused if it dosen't see a signal it expects. but being able to read live data and fault codes, I would say, is a considerable help to fault finding, especialy if you have just hacked a loom and using parts of unknown servacabilty from the donor vehicle.

may have helped with Mark B bruised brain

Simple? Logical? My brain still has the bruises from doing yours............ A number of times. :(

you did mention "some of the sensors" so may not be possible in every case, but with the EVAC, you may not have the whole system but the valve can be left in circuit, so the ECU is happy. Also as the valve is basicaly a solinoide I would think it would be possible to con the ECU into thinking its there, would have to investigate.

So if there are some sensors that haven't been used on the kit, will I need to remove them from the ECU or will it sit there happily just logging the fault codes? Is it possible to adapt the ECU not to look for these or will there be a problem to just leaving it and not having it plugged in?