Fuel Pump Question

Guest coops222

Guest coops222

hi,

ive fitted a electronic fuel pump which works fine... but someone told me that it should stop pumping when the pressure gets high enough....

is this correct.

cheers guys

efi pumps controlled by the ecu will run for a couple of seconds to prime the system, which is what you have been told.

If you have fitted an aftermarket low pressure pump for carbs it will run constantly unless it is an interrupter pump such as a motorcycle pump

Guest Chris Russ

If you have run a fuel return pipe back to the fuel tank then that might be your proplem, as the electric pump will keep sensing low pressure & keep pumping?! ( you'll be pumping your fuel round in a loop!! )

is it a whirr or a click? if it's a whirr, don't worry. If it's a click, then it may click less often or stop if the engine is not running.

Either way, I'm assuming the engine runs? Then there's no problem!

To run and stop the pump needs to have a pressure sensing ability and software to interpret and switch the pumping. Fuel injection pumps seldom do this. A few low pressure pumps, notably most bike carb pumps do have this ability but it's not the norm. Facet style square electronic pumps don't. It's probably not a fault. What do you have fitted?

Nigel

Guest coops222

i have fitted a square solid state fuel pump.... i was trying to fit motorbike carbs but i have given up and gone back to webers 32/36 as im not going to get time off work to get it to a rolling road anytime soon.. so ive given up till winter.

all i was bothered about was the affect the fuel pressure would have on the carbs... ive got a fuel regulator fitted but no pressure guage ... does anyone know which guage i should fit and what pressure it should be?

regulator is a malpassi filter king...

thanks paul

The facet style square solid state pump clicks away all the time, a bit louder and faster if you are running out of fuel. It's not meant to stop when up to pressure. They do have the fault of unreliable flow, sucking through the metal bullet filters they are often supplied with so remove that and fit the inlet stub for a hose and add a cheap plastic filter (ebay - £1), change it yearly and all will be well. Malpassi is accurate enough for you to set it mid-range and forget it. Off course you can buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge (ebay again) to check pressure but unless it's a fluid filled gauge it's not meant to be left fitted all the time, just fitted to test and then removed. I must admit I have had one permanently fitted for years without problems.

Nigel