Pre-Iva Tire Kicking

WallerZ

Hi All,

I have had VOSA take my money for the IVA and waiting for GBS to supply a handbrake kit, but despite that the car is pretty much there.

I am just starting the last week of my placement and about 2 weeks before I am due to start my final year of university. During this time I'd like to get the car as finished off as possible to give myself the best chance of passing the IVA first time and to ensure I've not missed something major or obvious (it has been a very quick build so it's a possibility).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone local to Tamworth would be happy to spend a bit of time looking over the car this weekend (14th/15th), kicking the tires etc to see if I have done anything that would fail or be dubious?

Tea and coffee on arrival plus biscuits to help whilst looking over the car.

Cheers,

Zach

Plus some photos (hopefully) for those who have a keen eye. Let me know if you want any area in particular to see that might give you a better view.

Cheers

20130903_192554_zps50ba0129.jpg

20130903_192545_zps71af0b26.jpg

20130903_192512_zps23d4ec44.jpg

20130903_192453_zpsa8e32b42.jpg

20130903_192439_zpsf1e883fa.jpg

20130903_192417_zpsba71ddc8.jpg

20130903_192408_zpsdf370ebd.jpg

20130826_192644_zps0ac43737.jpg

20130826_192639_zpsa18f30cc.jpg

Got the steering column surround to put on, just finding the right screws. Front indicators aren't fully on yet (don't have a picture, just need to adjust the angles on them) - Front wing will be on by tonight with side indicators.

Handbrake from GBS, and centre panel under dashboard will have hazards and fog light switch in. Boot cover for IVA will be simply a riveted sheet of aluminium too.

Yes, the lambda sensor cable MUST go through a grommet in the side panel. (Over the top or under floor is not permitted I think)

And the nut on the lambda sensor will not pass the sharp edge test so that and the exhaust clamp must be covered up. I made a clip on cover which does just that.

I take it that all those loose wires in the passenger well will be tidied up out of sight?

Also, your wing mirrors. Did you make a spreader washer (about 3" diameter) to fit on the inside of the scuttle? This I would advise as it prevents the mirrors from vibrating, which I "think" may be a fail. Easy to do from scrap aluminium.

Where are your indicators? and side repeaters?

If you are not fitting wipers, you need grommets or such like to fill the holes in the body. (Holes are generally not allowed especially if over a certain size) Bonnet vents seem ok though.

You may find that the trim over the exhaust will melt if too close. I did not fit any as the edge could not be touched by the "Ball of Doom" tool.

Simon.

Yeah I thought the Lambda would need that. Would it be ok drilling a hole through the top of the wire and sliding it down?

I've got some exhaust wrap that will go over the clamp, plus take the trim off by the exhaust (take it with me just in case)

Indicators are in the process of being fitted. Just adapting a few things to get the angles right - plus getting round to fitting the drivers side cycle wing.

Grommets are on order :)

Oh and the wiring will be covered up, just left it open because I had a little issue with a relay, still need to re-find the handbrake tell tale light wiring as I've been silly and wrapped it in with the rest...Do I need some form of covering under the dashboard too? How far do they go underneath checking? Would some carpet/fabric do the job? (thinking cheap lol)

Edited by WallerZ

Fog light is 90 degrees, headlamp mounts? The bit that's part of the chassis?

Erm....might have to get back to you on the mirror....Is a centre mirror required for IVA if you have the two wing mirrors? I thought I heard/read/saw something that said it was only tested if present but not required if you have the wing mirrors? Maybe dreaming....

The indicators will probably need extension pieces so that they are within the limits of the WIDEST part of the car (Not necessarily the front)

I'm not sure exhaust wrap will do. I got pulled up when I tried to hide some "really sharp dangerous nuts" on the wing mirrors under cable wrap and black duct tape. Reason given? It "looked temporary" and not part of what you would buy on a car from the forecourt. (The tester had some extra covers that he let me have fortunately)

What ever measures you take to cover nuts, track rod ends (heatshrink NOT acceptable) must look like it was meant to be there for the life of the car.

Fog lamps must now have the E (or is it F) marking on the lens AND be at 90 degrees to the road.

I don't understand what you mean by "drilling a hole in the wire and sliding it down". I had to drill a hole in the side, grommet it and then after feeding the wire through, attach the connector on the inside.

So, if it needs replacing, I would have to cut it out and re-wire the new one.

Oh, and depending on the age of your engine, a CAT may need to be fitted (and working)

Simon.

Would a letter from the manufacturer stating it's petrol proof suffice? (maybe on the receipt/invoice?) What if the boot cover is fixed so they can't get into it without having to drill out the rivets etc to get to it?

I don't understand what you mean by "drilling a hole in the wire and sliding it down". I had to drill a hole in the side, grommet it and then after feeding the wire through, attach the connector on the inside.

I meant with the nut covers, drill a hole in the cover top for the wire, threading the wire through so the cover can come down over the nut?

Centre mirror can go, I can claim that the view rearward was not sufficient enough with a mirror in place, therefore not required (08 Indirect Vision, note 3)

Oh, I think I see now. You mean a nut cover over the lambda? That won't work as it will very likely melt due to the heat.

I saw a neat trick with a jubilee clip and off-cut aluminium in a little tube around the lambda with IVA trim on the top which was quite clever.

The wire for the lambda has to go through the side of the body, not over or under. (And seeing as yours is trapped under the bonnet - a definite no-no. :)

The hole through nut covers is what you do for the headlights.

I think that the centre mirror may be required and of the correct size. You can get a cheap IVA friendly one and replace it afterwards. Vision in that mirror tends to vibrate a lot though (Mine especially at 50 mph)

Simon.

As long as it melts smooth though? ;) haha! Could probably get some exhaust wrap to cover it too with a jubilee clip, I have a few of them spare anyway. Yeah I was originally going to keep the lambda off but may have caused a few issues to its staying, just over the bonnet for ease currently.

Yeah I'm going to get rid of the centre mirror for IVA and say the one I had didn't provide rearwards vision as stated in the manual. I was hoping the list would be shorter lol. Sharp edges though? Surely it's just natural selection at its finest :) haha!