A Bit More Power For Next Year

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Hi all

I'm thinking of changing my pintos standard downdraft webber for twins or even bike carbs,

Not really sure of the advantages interms of performance and sound , and difficulty of fitting/tuning etc...

Also if anybody has any for sale I might be interested!

Any info and recommendations would be very much appreciated,

It is an s7 with a completely standard 2.0 pinto.

Thanks in advance

hi dan you can do the norm skim and port the head kent cam bestek ignition is a good upgrade bike carbs will make it run sweeter compared to webbers depends how far you want to go and how much you've got to spend did all that to my pinto still wasn't satisfied so have gone for zetec now

Biggest change would be injection head and FR32 cam with thin gasket

Carbs will only fuel to engines requirements

Standard carb good for 130bhp

38 DGAS good to 150bhp

Then bike carbs

Yes bike carbs will sound nice and deliver a more urgent response to throttle but other mods make a huge difference and allow engine to rev more

Guest mower man

Re power hike :- stage 2 + head ported ,bronze valve guides ,3 angle seats , chambers eaqualized and all faces skimmed Newman fast road cam slight rejet on 38 dgas = 143.7 at crank 124 .9 at the wheels with161.9 ft /lb torque very nice ,driveable engine [2.1] ,love it it,s not cammy starts easy and 30 mpg if you are care full circa£ 800 but I think its worth it mower man :crazy: :clapping:

It all comes down to what you want to spend, decide on your budget first. The more horsepower you want, the more you have to pay. A few horsepower can often be gained by maximising the use of air intake and exhaust, after that you are looking at fueling and ignition system improvements and then if you want to go for more you have to start delving around inside the engine and that can get expensive.

Twin webers are good, they make a great induction roar if your exhaust allows you to hear it but I find mine go out of balance very quickly, a tweak with the screwdriver soon sorts this out. My local tuner reckons that they are best for a race car but Dellorto are better for the road.

I am currently assembling a collection of spares to rebuild a Sylva Leader and have decided to try a set of Fireblade carbs partially because I have heard that they are smoother and stay in tune but also because they are a LOT cheaper. Second hand webers are probably 300 quid a pair and I got my blade carbs for 65 quid posted! Still got to shell out a couple of hundred quid for an inlet manifold though.

It may be that it will be cheaper and easier to start with a new engine to get that extra horsepower. Plenty of things that will fit out there, Zetec, Redtop, Duratec to name a few. If I was going to replace the pinto in my leader I would use a Rover V8 cos I love them. Have got a an SD1 efi in my garage crying out for a good home!

Regards

Kevin

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Hi all, thanks for the replys

I have decided to kick things off be going for twin 40 webers, hopefully that will make a nice noise and give a little more poke mod range.

Will keep you posted!

Guest Ian & Carole

Hope you have a healthy bank balance for:-A) Fuel, and B) Garage time every week setting up the webbers :rofl:

I will take cover when I have posted this Simon.

I check my 40's every spring for balance never touch the mixture screws cause that is spot on and can achieve 35+ MPG on a decent run like through France and mid 20's round Yorkshire Moors and yes low 20's when playing. :crazy: :crazy:

You know how nippy mine can be when pushed.

I have to agree with Ian......I have twin dellorto 45s, on a Redtop, they need a minor tweak on the balance screw every now & again, mixtures once or twice a year, & I get 32 touring & 12 on track.

Pre-redtop, I had twin 40s, with 36mm chokes on a tuned pinto & usually got about 30mpg.

Bob

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Webers went on yesterday and after some tweaking with the throttle linkage and modifying the brake servo hose I took her out for a test run, WOW, never thought it would make such a difference!, chuffed to bits, let's now see how long they stay sweet and how much mpg I've lost, fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the advice

yesterday i filled the tank with £30, i then thrashed the living daylights out of my 2.0 zetec with 45webers for 100miles or so and didnt use the £30, 100miles divided by 4.8 = 20mpg so my car is doing way better than 20mpg thrashed as i still have loads of fuel left.

webers are fine when set up properly, mine were set up on the rolling rd