Nuts And Bolts

ivorbigun

Hi all bought a 2b part built last year and I've just got to the point of re attaching the front suspension someone couldn't drill a straight hole! Anyway I don't appear to have all the nuts and bolts, does anyone have the list that was supposed to come with the kit as I don't seem to have all the paperwork ether!

Cheers

Ivan

Guest chris brown

Just measure up what you need then buy what is required the majority of the nuts, bolts, screws etc that came with my kit and no doubt all others were an odd mixture of which few fitted. IIRC the wishbone to chassis one were too short in any case.

Hi again

Thanks for the reply's I guess I was just being a bit lazy don't get much time at home mostly in some foreign land. I know screwfix etc do bolts it's just the difference between bolts and set screws that makes the measuring more complicated.

thanks for your interest.

Ivan

Guest mower man

Set screws = threaded right up to the head , bolts = an unthreaded shank under the head , length = measurement from underside of the head to the end of bolt /set screw . There is no difference in lengths between set scews and bolts , do not use sets for load bearing duties ie suspension mounts , all fixings should be 8.8 quality minimum [ marked on head] HTH try to use a proper fixing supplier not screw fix or b+q they know what they are selling mower man :acute: :crazy: :clapping:

Thanks for that mower man, I do know the difference I'm currently a generator engineer and my father was an hgv engineer so got taught that about 40+ years ago I was just trying to take the easy way, but now I think of it I doubt the list ever went into that much detail anyway hey ho out with the very near gauge and the note pad

Cheers

Ivan

Ivan

I'm beginning to realise that it's all a bit haphazard especially after watching the videos! !!!!!!!!!! I now realise that these kits should never have been sold to anyone without a degree in engineering! No wonder people struggle to pass the iva test. Fair play to those that have.

Looking forward to mine (:-} not.

Thanks to all

Ivan

I just love the video, where he states that the front suspension is a precision piece of engineering and then goes on to drill the holes with out centre punching! You will probably find that with this precision engineering you will need to pack out each side with varing amounts of washers. Mine are 5 and 3 on one side and 7 and 4 on the other. I was amaised when the car drove in a straight line :)

If you can't find what you're after on eBay, some of the most competitive places I've found price-wise (I spent some time searching!) are :-

Nuts, Bolts & Things... better for smaller numbers, website not so great though.

Westfield fasteners... I also like their website which makes selection of the right nut/bolt/set screw nice and easy... better prices if you're buying "quite a few" ie. more than 10

Namrick - as mentioned above, good place too, and wide selection. Similar prices to Westfield.

No affiliation, just a happy customer. Be aware of the difference between zinc plated, stainless, etc. and also the grade of the bolt/cap screw/etc. when comparing like-for-like and prices. A quick comparison on buying 20x M6-25mm 12.9 grade cap screws...

£8.08 from Westfield (inc vat and shipping)

£5.65 from Nuts Bolts & Things

£3.84 from Namrick but plus shipping, so somewhere between the other two.

Obviously greatly depends on how many you're buying...

Thanks guys but I already have accounts with consumable suppliers as I used to run a 4x4 repair business before the financial downturn

On the spacer subject I've made some stainless spacers to suit but mine miraculously are the same both sides! !!

And i know not to use stainless in place of 8.8 mild(;-}

Guest peter2b2002

the chassis was supposed have been made in a jig, my wishbone mounts were 28mm top n/s out ,32mm bottom n/s , 15mm top o/s, 25 mm bottom o/s, a mate turned up some spacers out of S/S for me

peter2b