Injection Wiring

Guest Dtr36

Hi all it's a premier loom din based.?

Made a start on easy stuff like ignition switch,bit confused about connecting it to ecu wats a tfi where idle valve speed sensor

And engine man relays

Seems lots of wires on ecu do I need to use them all to get it to run?

Guest peter2b2002

the idle valve is on the side of the inlet manifold about 1" dia with a plug on one end, tfi module is part of the ignition system, engine relay is in the doner fuse/relay box, keep all wire that come out of the ecu just in case, there only a few wires that go to the engine(oil pressure, water temp I think) the others go to the injectors, dizy,air flow meter,idle valve, throttle position sensor, module tfi, haynes book will tell you what is what

peter2b

It's not that hard a job to wire the car, break it down into small sections/sub looms such as nearside front, nearside rear, offside front, offside rear, dash and engine.

The Injection ecu should have it's own sub loom which connects to all the necessary sensors, injectors, etc. From memory there are only two wires that connect it into the main loom.

You'll need a fuse box, I used this one last year and it's a nice piece with enough fuses to break things down properly

Fuse Box

I also used the matching relay holder for mainbeam, dipped beam, fuel pump and horn relays and a fifth relay for the ignition.

Relay Holder

A proper crimping tool and the correct connectors is essential too

I run a pinto with the standard efi setup, which i installed on the car (originally on carbs). Do you have the injection subloom as mentioned by steve above? if so, it's a relatively simple process to wire it up, there are only a few wires to connect, permanant live (red ring connector), switched live (black wire in multiplug), tacho feed (green wire in multiplug) and half a dozen earths.

You're safe to cut off the multiplug and ignore the remaining wires, mostly brown-and-something. No idea what they're there for.

The remaining connectors fit to components:

idle air control valve is the cylindrical item on the opposite side of the throttle body to the throttle butterfly spring.

TPS / Throttle Position Sensor is a black plastic sensor directly next to the IACV with wires and a plug leading to it.

Distributor takes a 3 pin plug

TFI is aka an ignition amplifier, takes the signal from the dizzy and is a small black plastic module mounted on an aluminium plate. 6 pin plug.

Engine main relays should be part of the sub-loom which you can almost ignore, if all is ok.Brown and yellow boxes on the end of some wiring.

the air flow meter is the large aluminium casting with a flap inside. 5 pin plug with one pin missing IIRC.

The water temp sensor is part of the manifold sub-sub-loom (along with the TPS and IACV) and takes a roughly cylindrical plug.

the sierra sub loom has a fuel pump relay built in - there should be a thick red and black wire which is the feed to the pump. The negative terminal on the pump can then earth to the chassis