Gsxr1000 Itb's No Fuel Return?!

flameredturbo

My ITB set up came today, I expected a feed and a return on the injection rail I expected to fit the fuel pressure reg just after the return, I have the swirl pot etc all ready for the set up. The build has come though and there's no return, please advise as it's blown everything I planned out the water.

Don't use the braided hose, it'll degrade very quickly. Rubber high pressure hose that is R9 rated will do the job.

Haven't found any 12mm R9 hose anywhere but you can get 12mm biofuel hose which will resist all the additives in unleaded -bit expensive at about £20 metre

Move the low pressure filter to where it can do some good protecting the low pressure pump and stopping your swirl pot filling with cr*p. T off the HP supply to the fuel rail and run that pipe to the regulator and it will work fine. Ignore the braided hose/teflon/JIC stuff and use some common sense. 8mm copper pipe with soldered halved olives and proper good quality injection hose works. You can get 12mm quality hose from Sytec.

Nigel

post-21-0-05432600-1390297142_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your advise, I had my plans with the filters etc, that diagram was one I lifted from somewhere.

So I'm clear, you advise that I put a T piece inline with the feed to the rail, send that off to the reg through that and then off to the return?

Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Thanks again.

Just as drawn and just as you describe it. The red bits are high pressure. Not my first choice system but perfectly workable. Is used like this in some tin tops because if you put all the pumps in the boot you only need one fuel pipe to the engine and no return. Ford put a fuel pressure/fuel accumulator on the rail in zetec blacktop mondeos to help smooth supply. They also used a pressure sensor to control the pump at some stage.

post-21-0-74848200-1390298760_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Couple of other quick questions relating to the ITB set up.

I have a filter king pressure reg, but I can't for the life of me see how you'd adjust it, or is that because you can't? Does the rail need to run at a set pressure or is the idea of the reg just to back up the fuel and create a pressure?

Second question, the small vacuum hoses that are part of the ITB set up, where should they be plumbed?

Thanks in advance!

Injection pressure is commonly run at 3 bar. If you buy a non adjustable pressure regulator it may/should be marked with the pressure it maintains. At its simplest it usually works by having a sprung diaphragm closing the pressure chamber inside which lifts exposing a bleed/return hole when that pressure is exceeded. Pressure bleeds off dropping the rail pressure back to 3 bar. An adjustable regulator simply has an adjustable element to the spring. There can be a pipe from manifold to the spring chamber so that manifold vacuum can add an additional element to the pressure on the diaphragm. This is a crude device which is going out of fashion except when there is pressure filling of the manifold by a turbo or supercharger. Has no place in a mapped system.(IMO Just get the mapping right!)

I would check if your Filter King is for carbs (2-3psi) or injection (45ish psi).

Not sure what vacuum hoses you have on the itbs but I would probably be blocking them off.

Nigel

• Like 1