Matching Paint Colour

alanrichey

I'm having to repair a damaged cycle wing (Unexpected departure into a hedge :)) The GRP repair seems to be going well, but obviously will then need painting.

To save me having to use trial and error or respraying both wings. does anyone know if the 'Blue' used is a standard off-the-shelf colour ?

crash.jpg

Hi,

sorry if you know this already, but you will need an etch primer on GRP or your paint will fall off. I use an activated etch which has separate thinners. seems to have worked for me as it's been on for 5 or 6 years.

Some paint places have a fancy machine for matching the paint colour. Homebase have one but you will only be able to choose the paint in Matt or vinyl silk :)

If you are spraying it anyway isn't it worth buying a replacement wing, rather than repairing?

hth

If you are repairing the wing as well as etch priming it first you will also need to give the repair a good couple of coats of high build

primer, and then wet flat with 800 wet n dry before even thinking about putting on the top coat or the repair will stick out like a sore thumb

If you are spraying it anyway isn't it worth buying a replacement wing, rather than repairing?
Yes :) I was going to repair it more as an experiment than anything else to see how it worked and make the car MOT capable. I will almost certainly get a new set. E-Bay item 111267176166 looks a good bet, but so far they are not replying to messages (although the picture shows blue they don't appear to offer it as an option) so not sure.