Fuel Leaks

I quote a famous film:

John McClane: [huddled in an air vent, recalls his wife's invitation] "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

I now quote myself:

Dino: [Huddled upside down in a RH 2b cockpit, recalls his wife's invitation] "buy the kit-car, we'll go out together, have a few laughs..."

After repositioning the handbrake on top of the centre console behind the gear stick (not an easy task when all the brakes, fuel lines & loom run underneath) I then went about moving the h/brake cable above the rear axle and found that it seems a little short?

Take into consideration I have no welding gear and have searched on the forums and noticed a lot of comments about buying a new cable and then shortening it.

Seems a shame that the old cable don't fit and is delaying any other work I can do. Please can anybody give me any advise on what cable, size and do I really need to shorten it with welding gear?

I'm assuming the donor car was a Ford Sierra, so the handbrake cable & shoes I require, would be for the same vehicle?

Any advice for a newbie (without any instructions) would be really, really appreciated before I rush out and get the wrong cables etc... If I need them ?

Arrrrggghhhh.....

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaaay....I feel like we accomplished something this weekend with all the following sorted:

Fuel lines replaced - tick

Fuel sender replaced - tick

Wiring loom moved - tick

Handbrake moved - tick

Handbrake cable moved and fitted - tick

Brake shoes and springs replaced - tick

Seating subframes fitted - tick

Carpet cut and ready to go in - work in progress

Side panels cut, covered and ready to fit - work in progress

Next on the agenda after all the fixture and fittings, is trying to sort out the centre console and new boot.

Then finally on to the MOT, tax and then driving ......!

A very happy Monday morning after an eventful couple of weeks swearing and cursing.....

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Edited by Dino
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weddings, Mothers-day, migraines, colds, sore throats, conjunctivitis all tried to stop me from getting things done....

But I have another eventful weekend and another day closer to the MOT test:

Carpets fitted - tick

Handbrake cover made and fitted - tick

New centre console covered and fitted - tick

All new vinyl interior fitted - tick

New passenger seat fitted - tick

Drivers seat fitted - work in progress

Detachable steering wheel - work in progress

new rear boot - work in progress

I just wish we had more hours at the weekend and less during the working week :)

Guy, Please can anybody give me a little advice on the replacing the steering wheel.

I have removed the old 10" steering wheel and adapter and now I was going to fit a new boss kk32x and detachable adapter with new steering wheel.

But have got stuck with the following and cannot remove it (or should I?):

Edited by Dino

Thanks guys, I was a bit worried when I tried hitting it with the hammer and it didn't budge. Thought I might break it and screw up the steering column.

Florin, good tip, being a bit of a Frank Spencer at DIY keeping the nut on may become useful for not getting a broken nose :)

Tonight will consist of the use of blocks of wood and a lump hammer, if this fails then the introduction of a 3 legged puller (never heard of that before - sounds like some kind of device made for a sexual deviant) .