Slow Cranking Zetec Starter

flameredturbo

Starter bolted on a and wired correctly as far as I can tell. It engages and turns the engine a very very tiny bit but won't be anywhere near enough to spring the car into life. Not got an electrical tester on it but even with the help of jump leads from another car it hardly turns atall. Any advice?

Guest alfaGTA

Had a similar issue with mine, cleaned earths etc and still the same! Pulled starter off and cleaned all the solenoid connections and the little earth wire on the starter itself, degreased all connections, refitted and worked 100%

Guest Ian & Carole

Richard

If like you say the starter in brand new then it has to be cabling issues, like said most likely an earth.

When you have been cranking for a while CAREFULLY touch the connectors to see if any of them are warm, if so a sure sign of a bad earth.

Have you go a separate earth between gearbox bell housing and chassis ?

Richard

If like you say the starter in brand new then it has to be cabling issues, like said most likely an earth.

When you have been cranking for a while CAREFULLY touch the connectors to see if any of them are warm, if so a sure sign of a bad earth.

Have you go a separate earth between gearbox bell housing and chassis ?

I have an earth from bellhousing to neg joining one to the chassis.

I also have a black wire with a green strip on the same line as a yellow wire with a blue strip. Where should the black and green wire go?

Guest alfaGTA

Was yours brand new? This one is.

Mine was the auld one from the previously installed pintosaurus.

Your issue is either wiring or mechanical, if the engine turns freely by hand then its ok, starter might not be meshing right with the flywheel and binding or its a wiring issue. Not too hard to diagnose as Ian said above, then retrace your steps cleaning and ensuring a good connection at all points.

Guest chris brown

Try the starter off the car, connect it up to a known good battery then hold it down firmly and connect small terminal to positive, starter should give a good strong kick as it winds up. If it only winds up slowly then take it back, it has been known for new ones to fail.

If the motor is ok then has it got the correct pinion for your starter ring IIRC some were 10 and some were 11 tooth. Had this problem on a MGTC a few weeks back.

Try the starter off the car, connect it up to a known good battery then hold it down firmly and connect small terminal to positive, starter should give a good strong kick as it winds up. If it only winds up slowly then take it back, it has been known for new ones to fail.

If the motor is ok then has it got the correct pinion for your starter ring IIRC some were 10 and some were 11 tooth. Had this problem on a MGTC a few weeks back.

Should it be 10 or 11?