Inlet Manifold Bolt

Guest tmarryat

Guest tmarryat

Afternoon All,

I'm stripping the Weber DCOE 40s and inlet manifold from my Pinto engine in preperation for finally getting the bike carbs fitted. I've come across an issue with the final bolt on the manifold. It is recessed into the manifold and I can't work out how to remove it. Clearly someone who worked on it before had an issue either fitting or removing it before as there is indentations and scrap marks on it already. I can't get enough grip on it with any spanners or sockets so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas? Currently my option is to grind across it and try to take it out with a screwdriver. Pics below.

Thanks in advance,

post-8939-0-95866900-1393771613_thumb.jpg

post-8939-0-09318000-1393771621_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

Have you got a welder? weld a bolt on and depending on how tight it is it should do the job, if not then buy an "easyout " kit, drill the correct size hole and drop the extractor tool in and unscrew. something like this http://www.ebay.co.u...=item257606f600

One word of advise, DO NOT BUY CHEAP or you will be trying to get a snapped easy out, out of a seized bolt. :crazy: :aggressive: :aggressive:

Guest mower man

Hi that looks awkward!!,try this find a nut and bolt of the same thread as the nut inquestion put them together with as much thread as pos to go into the one in the manifold ,screw the bolt in as far as poss tighten the nut up to it and lock them together [as in removing a stud ] and wind the lot out [ hope fully ] ,who ever put it there cannot have tightened it too muchand really should have used a cap headbolt hope this helps or things like drilling the stud out or welding another stud in will have to be considered mowerman =@

If the previous owner hasn't managed to tighten the bolt very much try using a hammer and punch or small chisel on the corner of the ears on the bolt, you may be able to jar it free.

Or drill the bolt head off, remove the manifold and hope there's enough stud left to grip to remove that!

Or Dremel a slot in the bolt head and use an impact screwdriver to try to remove it

Guest tmarryat

Thanks for all the suggestions. The nut is now free and in the bin. Tried the double nut method but the nut thread stripped, then tried the stud extractors without success but finally came free with a punch and a little encouragement from the hammer. New studs and bolts arrived today and missus informed I'll be in the garage all weekend!