Fitting Hood Set

Guest JammyJim

Guest JammyJim

Hi All, Managed to pick up a hood set from Richard Stewart one he had tucked away in a lock up.

problem is not sure where to start.

Do I fit doors first then hood front to back then roof rails

Or

Fit rails hood then doors.

I realise there are a lot threads on this subject but any help would be welcome.

Guest JammyJim

Hi Phil i'm in Torquay and members are a bit thin on the ground down here, i know Tony but not sure if he has done a hood fitting.

I wont be able to get round to it until Easter Weekend, so looking for info at moment.

The door fit is set by the screen

The hood fits from the rear with a specific distance from rear to screen over the roll bar

I dummy fitted the doors and hood with masking tape

Be aware you need a little slack as hood bars tension the roof

Mine was a tad tight, I can only use 1 roof hoop and rear corners are very tight

Turn buckles or lift the dot for the corners and forward lower edge near the door, I will be fitting turn buckle to outer rear screen

7b40bd3b.jpg

Guest chris brown

Go for awning rail on the top of the screen and sow a awning tape along the front of the hood it is b far the best way of keeping water from coming over the top of the screen.

The hood on my 3A is a very good fit, but as Chris says above go for the awning rail front fixing. Mine has the press fasteners all round and it does leak over the top of the windscreen. I dont bother with the door at all if I can help it!

Guest JammyJim

Thanks Paul pretty much as I thought like masking tape idea, I take it it's large hoop to front small to rear ?

Chris been thinking about awning rail idea I take it I will need it shaping to fit screen would need to see If local caravan dealer could do this for me.

Jim

Edited by JammyJim

Yes larger to front

As my hood is tight, mainly down to rear fixings a bit low I only use the main hoop.

1" luggage strap over hoop and roll bar provided tension from the inside.

The doors set screen angle and distance from rear arch

I drilled and fitted 1 screen support bolt each side with small bolts so I had a degree of adjustment until all the elements were correct

Its a bit like trying to herd cats while getting an octopus out of a string bag

• Like 1

Guest Ian & Carole

Its a bit like trying to herd cats while getting an octopus out of a string bag

That is the best description I have ever seen on how hard it is to fit the hood. :rofl: :rofl:

If you think fitting it is hard, (and it is) wait till

you try getting in with it fitted.....

more Kraken than octopus...

BTW many of us could only fit one hoop...it doesnt seem to make much difference.

Just fit a strap (eg luggage strap) between the roll bar & the hoop, then tighten it up

once the roof is fitted to take out the saggy wrinkles....quiet at the back!

Guest Ian & Carole

If you think fitting it is hard, (and it is) wait till

you try getting in with it fitted.....

more Kraken than octopus...

BTW many of us could only fit one hoop...it doesnt seem to make much difference.

Just fit a strap (eg luggage strap) between the roll bar & the hoop, then tighten it up

once the roof is fitted to take out the saggy wrinkles....quiet at the back!

Can't stay quiet with that one Bob, it'll take more than a luggage strap!!! :rofl: :rofl: :blink: :lol:

Guest JammyJim

Thanks for all info.

Have just dusted of the old vcr and put tape 4 in I which Richard explains how to fit hood in his usual something like this way.

Hopefully will have time to fit over Easter weekend.

Jim

I thought fitting the roof would be a lot harder then it actually was, I started by leaving the top near the radiator in the house and putting the heaters on in the garage!

Measure the centre point of the screen and the centre of the rear panel then did the same to the hood, marking with chalk. Remember, if you drill into the screen top rial, don't use any force or as soon as the drill goes through it will hit the glass and could shatter it!

I pop riveted fasteners for mine except the two at each end of the screen which I drilled and tapped, I also used turn buckles for the end where the roof meets the door at the bottom for a bit more strength.

There should be some photos on here if you search my posts.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest John Welham

Hi New to the Club and the Forum. I have a 2B, which took a very long time to build (don't ask) but which is now alive and well, IVA'd and living in Brittany. I have a vinyl Hood but somehow over the last XX year the supports have gone missing. Any ideas where I can get hold of a new set? Cheers John