What Engine Change Should I Look At From My Pinto

Guest david_l_perry

I'm going to throw something in from left field

When I had a V6 Galaxy I loved the sound and the smooth power delivery and as its a narrow V the size is much like a twin cam 4, its a VW engine and comes in 12 or 24 valve, 2.8 to 3.2 L

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcramsay

I'm not sure how you would get on with the marlin sportster. The company was owned by a couple, terry and mark, terry doing the Buisness side and mark making the cars, sadly due to illness mark passed away last week. Obviously I cannot comment if they will continue to run as a buisness now or not. Terry made it clear that regardless of what happened in the future they would supply me with the parts I need. ( this was 6 months ago) when I ordered my kit. If they are still going to take kit orders then I would highly recommend the build, but it's not easy. And there is not as much online help as there is with a 7 based kit... I didn't help my self by choosing a pretty much one off engine and rear axle combination for my build... I think that goes for anyone if you think about putting an 3.2 m3 evo engine in a kit car make sure you have the patience of a saint first. Everything is difficult

Guest david_l_perry

That's a sad bit of news, and obviously explains why I have had no response....

Hope they keep it going one way or another...

What's making the build not easy ??

From what I read, the big thing about the kit was the very well produced components, which I assumed would translate to an easy kit construction. Is this not really the case then, or is it the complexity that you are facing with an unusual engine choice...??

I'm not going to spend money on a total engine change on my Hood until I have ruled out other kit options.

Guest mcramsay

The kit it's self is great, really good quality and well made, the chassis alone is a work of art, the difficulty is I'm kind of building a prototype of theirs, they have never actually built one themselves, this being using an e39 5 series as a donor, this uses the complete aluminium subframe (which carries the suspension and diff) and bolts up into the car on 4 bolts. Sounds easy but I'm finding problems with things not fitting. I have been able to sort the majority of the issues out though. Given the choice again I would have gone for the 3 series e36 donor. It would be a much more easier build. Nothing has been overly hard to sort out. The bit that makes it more hard for me is the engine choice I made, I knew it would be hard, but I didn't understand the complexity of the m3 engine. Once again that us self inflicted and the majority of things are sorted now. The last thing I need to do is find a really small alternator and reroute the belt drive. Once I have done that the build will become much easier! The body work supplied and fibreglass moulds are well made and fit well, the body panels will require trimming but it's nothing a ruler and snips can't do!

Give marlin some time and see how it pans out. They do take some time to respond to emails. Obviously at the moment they might take a bit more time! Making the build difficult is my own fault, but it doesn't make me regret choosing the marlin.

If you want any more info send me a pm!

Guest david_l_perry

That makes sense....thanks for that !

Hopefully going to check out a couple local to me in the next few weeks when I get some time so I can see them in the flesh