Drive Shafts - Will These Fit?

danielbrookes

Hi,

I have found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-2-0-PETROL-DRIVESHAFT-NEAR-SIDE-CV-JOINT-1982-1993-/130955392057?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e7d8cb439

I am looking at getting a reconned diff from GBS (which I beleive is the "push" type, cant remember the technical term but the driveshafts are pushed into place rather than attached).

Two questions from me, will these fit my Zero and I notice these are for Drum brakes, I want disks at the rear also, do I need different shafts for disks or a conversion kit of some kind?

Thanks!

p.s - spent yesterday fitting my pedals and finishing off my brake lines, I've only just started but I'm loving it! :)

Do you have disc hubs right now?

If so then you need bolt on shafts not push fit

You will need a diff made for bolt on (Lobro)

If you have drum brakes the push fit shafts on eBay will work and you will need a diff that takes push fit.

You can get brackets to fit calipers and discs to drum hubs

The easiest way all round is to buy and fit a whole Sierra disc brake axle as you will get calipers, discs, hubs, shafts and diff

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, at the moment I dont have anything purchased and your advice is much appreciated.

The only reason I want discs is because I think they look better, but if its a faff about then I will stick with drums as that sounds easier.

I am trying to purchase everything new for peace of mind but more importantly I am wanting a new reg number, not age related or Q, so ebay for drive shafts, drum brakes and then the reconned push fit diff from GBS sounds like a plan to me.

Also be aware there are 2 sizes of driveshaft, which have different sized flanges that fit into the diff.

they are not interchangeable.

I havent found any way of identifying what cars had which size.

• Like 1

Most Lobro's are 100mm pcd bolt pattern, the Cosworth ones are often 108mm pcd for 7 ½" diff

There is an added complication of shaft thickness but in all honesty if you have a 7" diff then 100mm lobro shafts will fit

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the driveshafts off ebay and have had problems today, one doesnt appear to be the right length. I purchased the "FORD SIERRA 2.0 PETROL DRIVESHAFT OFF/SIDE & CV JOINT 1982>1993" and also near side, but I am confused.

Am I right in thinking the thread should be different on each end, i.e I need a left and right hand hub nut? The reason I ask is I purchased a bearing replacement kit for my hubs and they come with a left and right nut which has different thread. Each of the drivehsafts I have are threaded the same so I am not sure if I have been sent the wrong part.

Does anyone know what length each driveshaft should be so I can measure? I know one should be shorter than the other, but the longest of the two is too long.

Hmmm. So each side should be different thread as expected, the thing is I've searched and the part numbers each match so one says Nearside and one Offside (FO129RN is rear right, FO129LN rear left).

Edited by danielbrookes

Definately have the wrong drive shafts, theres no way they are the correct length.

Please can someone in the know let me know the required lenghts for both? Hopefully tomorrow I can arrange to get the swapped out and it wont cost me more than postage.

Guest iank

You can use the push fit drive shafts and the 7" diff with discs at the rear.

You just need the bearing carriers for the push in shafts

I got mine from GBS a couple of years ago.

You can use the push fit drive shafts and the 7" diff with discs at the rear.

You just need the bearing carriers for the push in shafts

I got mine from GBS a couple of years ago.

Cheers, I think I am confusing things and asking too many questions. To be clear, I have purchased the push fit diff from GBS, I also have the push fit driveshafts from ebay and a pair of hubs/hub carriers from a sierra.

I have:

- Offside driveshaft http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141023774201

- Nearside driveshalft http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130955392057

- Diff from GBS http://www.kitspares...&product_id=892

- Pair of hubs and carriers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281340642611

The diff is fitted but when I tried the driveshafts they arent the right length, certainly one of them is far too long. The shorter seems to be correct but I am not 100% sure.

I need to know what length each drive shaft should be? That way tomorrow I can speak to the supplier and ensure I get the correct ones.

If someone could let me know what length they should be that would be great because I can get them swapped out tomorrow.

Edited by danielbrookes

I thought the push in drive shafts were the wrong size initially.

Turns out that they are compressible and do actually fit.

I have the push in type with discs on the rear. (GBS do a flange plate in order to fit the calipers)

The two drive shafts are different lengths though. If yours are the same length, you have two of the same side.

Worth replacing the CV boots while off the car as the stretchy boots only go on from the diff end. (Fit the outer boots before the inner boots though)

Worth looking through my web site blog for these pictures.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B
  • Like 1

I thought the push in drive shafts were the wrong size initially.

Turns out that they are compressible and do actually fit.

I have the push in type with discs on the rear. (GBS do a flange plate in order to fit the calipers)

The two drive shafts are different lengths though. If yours are the same length, you have two of the same side.

Worth replacing the CV boots while off the car as the stretchy boots only go on from the diff end. (Fit the outer boots before the inner boots though)

Worth looking through my web site blog for these pictures.

Simon.

Interesting. Thanks and that gives me hope, I definately have two different sizes.. The only thing that makes me wonder is the age range on the description is "1982 > 1993" I just assumed they were all the same for that time period. I'll check to see if they are compressable too.

To compress them do you need to take off the CV boots and adjust? Sorry if that sounds dumb...

No, just press down. They are spring loaded internally and I don't believe you can dismantle them either.

The grease you get in the stretchy boot pack is - like - spoonable whereas it turns more liquid after years inside these joints and can be poured out when you remove the boots.

It is a slow pouring syrup though.

You will need a CV cone cut down to just fit over the round end, well greased with some of the packing grease and preferably a mate to hold the shaft while you take a run at it to get the boots on. If you stop pulling, then you will have to take another go to get it on.

I only had the floor to push against and as you've got two pivot points on the shaft, you can imagine the fun I had ! :)

Take a look in my first (January) pictures and description to see more. (Look in my signature below)

Simon.

Oh, and the outer boots go on right side out, but the inner boots go on inside out and you then turn them back once they are on the shaft.

You may find that leaving the larger unwanted size on the boot on until you fit it to the shaft as you have something you can hold onto while pulling at the boots. You will need to cut the too small inner one off though. (Though don't cut to EXACTLY the right size, use one size smaller so that you get a better seal. You may find that the larger side needs to be more or less the right size though and the steel clamps supplied can be put on and if you have a pair of nail pliers, these are ideal crimping tools.

Simon.