Flexible Exhaust Joints

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Has anyone had experience with the above?

Since the new silencer was fitted and a different mounting system used,

there isn't much movement of the exhaust in relationship with the bodywork.

In fact it all seems to be clamped down quite tightly.

So, looking at flexible couplings just to give that bit of movement between manifold and the rest of the system.

Looks like a job I can do myself too, which is a plus...... :good:

Yes! My exhaust manifold would self-distruct by cracking due to vibration, particularly at tick-over. I strengthened it, yet it broke again - it just took longer the second time. I added a ball and socket type of exhaust connector and this seems to be a permanent fix, dampening the vibration.

post-2156-0-08895600-1415042950_thumb.jpg

Edited by GambolGold

Guest Gargoil

Great, do they compress or should they be put under tension in any way?

The one I am thinking of fitting is only going to be a short one due to available space, so wondering about the best way of using it.

They can be very restrictive though.

The flexi-joint fitted on Florin is same bore through-out, silencer is much bigger than "standard" to bring the db level down to low 90's.

So maybe weight of system was the cause of crack ? Box is now supported on bobbins front & back.

Guest mower man

I had manifold cracking issues on my s7 especialy when I fitted a big repackable silencer , this was cured by a flexi joint after the manifold /before the silencer and also a second mount at the front of the silencer the joint was the same internal dia as the front pipe /silencer no restiction and it completely cured the prob , stiff engine mounts in my op would cause the pipe to whip ven more on one bobbin ,the twin mounts I had also tried to place the bobbins in compression not shear or tension ,they still degrade with heat but last far longer mowerman :acute: :crazy:

Guest Gargoil

Must admit I hadn't thought of checking the engine mounts. Had assumed that there would naturally be some movement from the engine, but perhaps there is more than desirable. Either way, I will look for any cracks or perishing to the rubber, thanks for the advice.

Still going to use a flexible joint though, as an aid to reducing any vibration from the engine and just in case.....manifolds don't grow on trees.