Feed Back Wanted

philshelton

Looks good, but the site doesn't fit the screen width and having to scroll right / left as well as up / down is a bit of a put off

when I see sites that do this.

I still use 1024x768 on this monitor as a higher resolution would be too small to read on this 14" (old) monitor :)

And some other may be still using 800x600 especially if their eyesight isn't very good. I know one person who I think may even be using 640x480 as well.

If it could sense the max screen width, it would be better as you then only scroll up and down.

Simon.

Had a quick look around and it works well on my hi-res monitor.

The only issues I had were as follows:

Contacts Page:

Tried filling out the information request form and the subject 'Other' cannot be selected without a prompt saying to select a subject.

I tried House repairs, which if you get the email (then and I assume it works) hopefully the other subjects will work also.

All pages:

I would also think of changing the colour of the small print links at the bottom of the page as they do not stand out very well and blend into the background, making very hard to read.

All pages:

I would look at the 'share via email' on links on all pages:

it opens up outlook OK, but populates the body of the email with your contact details. It really should populate the TO: address.

Nice site, nice colour scheme and plenty of pictures....Which everybody loves.

Similar to the above, the black underlined bullet points look like links but also show up underlined spaces at beginning and end of words such as

Kitchen fitting (extra space at end - not easily seen in this forum copy)

Laminate and wooden flooring (extra space(s) at start )

Simon.

Hi Phil,

I'm a professional website designer for a living so hopefully you won't be offended at a few suggestions for improvement.

As mentioned above you have used a lot of colours that match the background shades so they are hard to read. It's hard as you've used a mid-blue so a black doesn't stand out enough for text and white is too light against the background. I think i would lighten the background a fair bit to make the text stand out more.

I'd lose the blue borders around the text.

Align the text/paragraphes to the left. Mid-align is hard to read.

The services list in the centre - a couple have an extra space at the begining you need to remove. You should link these to the respective pages. I'd also add a heading using the heading tags (H4) as google uses heading tags as part of deciding what is important on the page.

Heading tags in general - need to add a few more headings using heading tags eg. for the other services at the bottom you could add the heading 'additional services' or something similar.

I'd not use comic sans for the heading it's a little 90's. instead you can embed a google font into your page http://www.google.com/fonts/# and use that. Don't go crazy though just pick a nice clean font like oswald or Open sans etc.

You could look at using a gallery script too. Gallerific is really nice and easy to impliment http://www.twospy.com/galleriffic/index.html (examples links a little down the page).

this site is very useful to see which bits need improvement http://nibbler.silktide.com/en_US/reports/philshelton.co.uk and you can retest to see if changes work etc.

hope that is useful. let me know if you have any questions.

Guest alfaGTA

Few bits from me too;

• The home page is duplicating much of the information in the drop down tabs; cut the word count but keep the buzz SEO words like Kitchen fitter, joiner, builder, decking etc etc plus your location
  • What pays most? Kitchen fitting? concentrate on that?
  • No job too big or too small? No mention of quotes or estimates given? What is conversion rate of quote/estimate to job secured?
  • More pictures on the home page; one or two from each "service" perhaps?
  • Contact number must be clearer and duplicated top and bottom
  • Are you getting commission by referring your customers to Wigston or Ecodek? If not why not? Likewise the Gas safe and electrician guys?
  • Black bold services should link to the services if possible
  • Lose the generic headless builder and get a shot of you in your clean logo'd t-shirt
  • Colour scheme is pleasant but some wording is hidden by the background
  • Size as mentioned already (you are too wide)
  • All the facebook etc links are in a prime spot, can they be somewhere less prominent?
  • Have an "about" page to give the personal statement etc etc
  • The information request form could create more hassle than it is worth?
  • Integrate your blog to the main homepage but you must keep it updated

Overall I like the personal honesty of the site and you have done a good job so far in showing that, let the pictures of your workmanship do the talking and get the existing wording more concise to include the buzz SEO wording.