New Rad!

Guest Darren2010

Guest Tim Norman

If you lean it forwards or backwards the "effective" area is increased. giving the effect of a bigger radiator for free. Used in conjuction with the cowling makes for a well cooled engine. The Pinto is at its most powerful at 70-75 degrees C.

Guest Tim Norman

Ford ran then at that temp for economy and to heat the cockpit. We don't drive these for economy or to have a heater!

Edited by Tim Norman

Guest Darren2010

Tim. If the Rad leans back or forward, does that not create a turbulence and slow the air down going through the rad? Where as if it's upright air flows through quick and clean?! I'm just trying to understand how the benefits of tilting it work!!

As most production cars seem to be upright! I'm not doubting, just trying to understand.

Thanks. Darren.

Guest 2b cruising

Cause more drag if leaning. Air passes through quicker so more colder air if upright. I am not convinced of turbulence giving greater cooling.

Guest Tim Norman

At the end of the day you look at all the options and make your own mind up. Production cars are vertical because its easy.

As for tilting causing drag, I'm sorry but that's *bleep*s. Have a watch of the link above.

Edited by Tim Norman

At the end of the day you look at all the options and make your own mind up. Production cars are vertical because its easy.

As for tilting causing drag, I'm sorry but that's *bleep*s. Have a watch of the link above.

And here was me thinking the 70deg tilt of the Superspec radiator was a poor design choice, turns out to be 'bleeding-edge' technology :)

I have to agree with Tim. A rad presented square on to the air flow is not quite as effective as the same rad at an angle of 10 - 15 degrees. Something to do with breaking up the attached and slow flowing laminar flow of the boundary air layer which can act as a thin insulating layer if flowing in too smooth a fashion. Sorry the explanation is unconvincing but in practice the effect is true.

Nigel

Guest Darren2010

Thanks for that Tim. On an angle it is.

But, does it make the same difference when stationary in traffic with the fan on? Or is it just with the forced air of driving? Like I say I'm not doubting any of your advice!! I'm just not the brightest at understanding this stuff.

Cheers. Darren.

Watched Tim's link & understand the presentation --- but this video is about fitting a larger surface area radiator without increasing frontal area, thus increasing the amount of cooling surface.

I do follow the reasoning of breaking the laminar flow but think the cooling benefit is due more to the impact of the air when forced to change direction.

And having given a very good presentation he fails on maths calculations 40 squared = 1600 not 800 as shown.

Probably most radiators are fitted where they fit & not where the best cooling is obtainable, so above ends up as just " useful to know"