Brakes

Guest ali2992

Guest ali2992

I've recently swapped my rear calipers over so the bleed nipped is on the bottom, in order to get clearance for the handbrake cable. I bled them today, I turned the caliper the correct way up.to bleed them to prevent air pockets in the piston and I have pure fluid coming out the bleed nipple when pumping the brake, yet when all tightened up the brakes still feel spongy. Before I swapped the calipers over they were rock hard. Is there anything I might have missed?

A spongy pedal means air is still in the system somewhere.

make sure you dont have an upward U bend (an n bend?) in the flexy pipe when you bleed them.

Hold the caliper as high as possible

Pump the pedal hard & quickly a few times to build up pressure.

Hold the pedal down hard & have someone open the bleed nipple.

Repeat as necessary.

Guest ali2992

Yep I bled everything at least twice. I'll get an eezibleed tomorrow from Halfords and see what happens! I'll watch out for the bend on the hoses too. If none of that fixes it then I wonder if something in the master cylinder has gone, but that seems like too much of a coincidence

Guest ali2992

Hi Ali. I am in bromsgrove and travel in and around Birmingham all the time. I have an easibleed you can borrow if you wanted to save a few pennies. Let me know

Thanks for the offer, really appreciated, I think this might be a wise purchase for myself though as I can see me using it quite often!

If the bleed nipple is at the bottom then it is very hard to get all the air out.

You probably need to get the pistons all the way in to leave no room for air whilst bleeding.

Wedges can help drive the pistons back.

Guest ali2992

Success! A combination of eezibleed and 2 person pumping has given me back rock hard brakes. Minor issue with the fact that the japanese seem to like being difficult and putting a massive reservoir cap on meaning I had to drill through the existing and make a new seal for it (Gunsson don't have a cap that went that big apparently), but working!