Repositioning Single Throttle Body?

richardm6994

Before I begin, please overlook the workmanship in the photograph......this is just a mock-up to get an idea of positioning.

My question is regards repositioning the throttle body on this inlet plenum. I'm not sure who manufactured the plenum originally (I think it maybe griffin power?) but to get it to fit with supercharger I've had to lengthen the runners and position the throttle body about 6" further away from its original position.

I've noticed the plenum doesn't taper towards the back of the engine either which won't help matters...

There is absolutely no way the tb can be positioned anywhere else and stay within the confines of the car......I've looked over this loads and this is the only position avalible without clashing with the nosecone/bonnet/supercharger outlet.

I'm not to worried about the runners being lengthened as I've seen a thread on Locost about this manifold and them being to short originally.....but will the new position of the throttle body have a significant effect? Bearing in mind this is for a supercharger set up.

My initial thought is that this setup will compromise throttle response......but will this be significant or hardly noticable?

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this, but please trust me when I say the tb can't be located anywhere else.....so I'm kinda stuck with it anyway.....

C396BAA5-88EA-40C4-B06B-0665D0AA56B3_zps6iydywcm.jpg

Edited by steamer

Guest 2b cruising

If that is the only place to mount it, then it has to be.

It's just a shame there is to much work involved for a suck it and see.

Like you say, there could be a slight delay. You would always have to charge the plenum on acceleration so charging the little bit of extra pipe work will make very little difference.

If the owner is pre warned this could happen, I am sure he will be very happy with the results when he drives it.

I am sure he will be away before his turboed mates while they are waiting for the power bands to come into play.

Might be a little extra work making space to change the timing belt when due. Might be worth putting one on for him now, giving him max time before it is due changing.

Edited by 2b cruising

I wouldnt be worried about it. Looking at the images the total runner length after the throttle body is still less than it is on something like a RenaultSport Clio, which is known for having a good throttle response on a revy NA engine, I can only see the supercharger helping in this setup.

• Like 1