Be Better Soon

maccavvy

Well had a lovely if very fast drive to the meet last night playing chase tazzzzman

had a small misfire for a split second. didn't think nowt of it.

anyway left early to go sort some stuff for my lemans trip next week,didnt make it home on 4 cylinders.

dropped to 3 and wouldn't play the game.

anyways had plugs out today and done a dry and wet compression test.

look like number 4 is down and plug is oiled up.so me and my mate decided it may as well come out.

so after work today popped it back to my garage and got stuck in.

currently sat waiting for engine to come out and head to come off.

gonna drop it at a mates who will hopefully sort it whilst im at lemans then when I return get it fitted back in.

Guest peter2b2002

Thats a bummer hope you get sorted out before next week,what day are you going over to le mans, im taking the tunnel on wednesday am

Hope to meet andy w over there for a lemonade or 4

peter2b

Guest peter2b2002

going to be bit of a rush down there, if you see a silver z3 on your way give me a wave other wise I will see you all there, where are you camping?

peter2b

Real sorry you couldn't keep up....Pinto V Supercharged MX5.. No brainer lol :crazy:

Definately sounds like a piston ring issue. 150psi on 1,2,3 120 on 4 which then increases to 150 with oil down the bore (with throttle fully open)....

Even 150 psi seems low, especially since the engine is supposedly only 10K miles since Vulcan rebuilt it...It may just be your compression tester showing low or valve clearances may need setting, so would be worth checking valve clearances first and re-doing compression tests before removing the head (so you have a good bench mark)

Next step, take the head off to inspect the head/ gasket, valves etc just to be sure. Check the piston bore to make sure no nasty scoring/ pick ups. You can also check for excessive lateral movement of No4 Piston which may also indicate a broken/ stuck ring

Money on a cracked or stuck ring

If you need help mate, give me a call....engine hoist, stand and garage space at the ready if yo need it....I'm getting a dab hand at engine in/ outs this year... :db:

Edited by tazzzzman1

@ peter. were going to be near arnage with area 24. if I see ill peep. keep eyes open for a red monaro.

engine is a stage 1 ported head. kent fr32 ,Vulcan engines 135 spec.

update . engine out... head off. lateral movement on number 4.. light upwards scoring on 1,2,3,4

oil is very 'grey' loads of crap on magnetic sump plug.

seems to be a larger gap around pistons at bottom of bore.

engine at a contacts who deals in rebuilding pintos , strip down tomorrow and then ill have another update.

thanks to all who have offered to help.. with lemans and busy at work ive had to source out.. just made sense.

Guest 2b cruising

Stick a Zeetec in it. Lots less worries when you are chasing someone.

Or of course, you could go blown Mazda. V6 of course. LoL

Edited by 2b cruising

Stick a Zeetec in it. Lots less worries when you are chasing someone.

Or of course, you could go blown Mazda. V6 of course. LoL

Nope .. sticking with my pinto and bike carbs... quick enough for the chassis to attempt to handle.

gonna attatch a tow rope to terry next time.. ill be fine then lol

Well it's bad news.....terminal really.

Oil pump, crank, bores all knackered.

Scored to hell.

Luckily a mate of mine has a cracking bottom end .

So getting cam bearings changed and will sort when I return from le mans ...it shall rise from the ashes lol

Guest 2b cruising

That's a bit of bad news to start with. Should work out to a happy ending though.

As mum used to say, it'll all be right after a cuppa and a wash.

aye its sortable.. hoping to have it running asap. ill get the rr to dial the cam in for me.

should be a simple enough task .. assuming good weather.. no space in garage to fit it .

Guest 2b cruising

That's how I am when I work on mine.

My new engine is on an engine frame covered in purpose built pond liner cover in the back garden.

Do bits to it now and then when weather good.

Hoping to get garage clear when it's engine fitting time.

Guest peter2b2002

Had a little run out yeasterday down to Denham to meet up with some old mates nice 300 mile round trip, this was a pre le mans trip ,,she went great no problems bit noisy with the top down just turn up the radio, now ive just loaded up ,all paper work sorted, clothing sorted, cooler pulged in to pre cool,just going to townfor some breathalisers(the last ones i got are just out of date) as an added bonus just got a tax rebate that i have been waiting for since january :yahoo: :yahoo:

peter2b