2B Handbrake Cable.

Guest 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Hi all.

Fitted rear wedge shims to my 2b today and came across a couple of surprises.

The first thing found was a leaking cylinder.

No signs of a leak until I pulled the edge of the dust cover back. Fluid pi**ed out. More than you would expect.

2 new cylinders and shoes on order.

Second surprise was when I removed the shoes, had to because handbrake cable would not release from the shoe lever. Well what a bodge I found. Maybe the builder had to shorten the cable but why I could not release the cable was because the nipple was not a nipple, it was a 6mm nut and bolt trapping the cable.

Can anyone tell me if this is a recommended mod, or if standard cable has to be shortened?

Thanks. Ken

Standard cable needs shortening by quite a bit --- not possible to do with differing routes to avoid same IMO.

Welded a nipple on end of shortened inner --- been O.K for 4 years.

When I bought Mine it had a short piece of tube crimped (hammered!) on the end to act as a nipple, looked crude but worked. When I replaced the cable I turned up a nipple and used my blunt cold chisel to crimp it on

The hollow bolt bodge was as per Tricky's videos.

Most of us cut the cable in half, overlapped it through the half moon & fixed it with up to 3

U bolts each side.

I guess your cable is too short to do that now?

Maybe a smaller bolt?

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Bob. I was under the impression those clips on handbrake cables were not allowed.

That was in my MOT training back in the 60's.

Could never understand if they were good enough for cranes, winches and ocean going ships, why not good enough for a simple handbrake where the tonnage was silly in comparison.

I spent ages re-routing the cable on one of my Marlins, in order to hide it in the chassis. Doe.