Petrol Breather!?

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

Does any one know if there is such a thing as a one way breather valve for fuel tanks? Every time I fill up I get spillage and strong fumes, especially when cornering. My breather comes out of the top of Sender unit.

You don't want a one way breather. It must be two way for air/vapour and no way for liquid. If you get strong petrol fumes after filling up you almost certainly have a leak from sender or filler.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest 2b cruising

If you feel the breather is to low, use a small bore pipe. Route it from breather pipe on sender to a higher point on boot side. Then loop it back down so that it exits the bottom of the boot area. This should then get rid of fumes from inside the car.

HTH Ken.

The breather valves you mentioned are designed to let air into the tank as the fuel is used but to shut should the car become inverted so that the fuel can't escape. I looked at them but decided that they were too expensive for what they were. To work properly they have to mounted vertically,either in the tank itself or inline in a piece of pipe.Therefore I put a breather tube in that goes up as high as possible in the car then goes down outside the car to a point lower than the bottom of the fuel tank so again if the car became inverted fuel would not escape. With the tube outside the car there is no smell of petrol fumes either.

You could block off your breather and drill your fuel cap as an alternative.

• Like 1

Guest Darren2010

Thanks guys. Filler neck and sender seal are ok. I know it's the breather as it pours out if I inadvertently over fill!!

And Steve from Stockport was behind me once and saw me dumping the occasional splash!!! I'll have a look at re-routing the pipe, or summat!

Guest 2b cruising

I do have a one way valve that would fit if you need it.

No resistance one way.

It was meant as an in line valve to stop fuel feed back.