Dead Battery?

maw

So this morning I decided to take my car into the office, a nice 75-mile drive from Leicester to Telford... Car drove lovely but when I stopped for a cheeky bacon butty a mile from my office the car then wouldn't start!

The car would just about turn over suggesting a dead battery?

I got bump started and managed to get the car into the office... Have I fried the battery in the warm weather or do you think if it cools down being sat in the shade all day it will start again?

I can easily get a bump start later but I'll need fuel on the way home so don't fancy my luck getting 3-bumps in one day!

Any advice?

Guest 2b cruising

You need to check your battery voltage when it warm. ie, when you get home and difficult to start again.

If voltage is good, 13 / 14 volt, your fault does not relate to your battery.

Check all of your starter circuit connections for cleanliness and security.

If all that is good then start thinking about a lazy starter motor when it is hot.

If it is running near your exhaust this would show up more prominently, but still happens when fitted the opposite side of exhaust.

Only cure for this fault is a new starter.

Subject has come up within the last six months on this forum. this was the fault and cured after fitting new starter.

Sorry but cannot remember who or title of the post.

Possibly same as yours or battery problem, flat battery.

HTH Ken

I had this the other day after queuing to get in to a show. The car was really hot and when I knocked the ignition off it wouldn't restart so I pushed it out of the way and tried again a little later when it started fine and has been ok ever since. I put this down to heat soak into the starter. It doesn't always engage properly anyway so it is on the list for replacement in the winter anyway

Matthew, are you still running the original Rover engine ? I had a dim memory that you had swapped it out ? If you do still have the Rover engine then rest assured most of the Superspecs have always suffered this problem. It has been discussed often on the forum with the following suggestions:

1. Poor earth from block to chassis. (I added an extra strap, had no effect)

2. ECU has advance set to far with hot engine making it difficult to crank (Can't comment, ECU on Rover a black art)

3. Engine naturally tightens up when hot and RH-supplied starter not man enough (Makes sense)

4. The position of the starter motor, hidden behind engine with no air flow, causes it to get excessively hot and the windings start to break down and not crank it with enough power (That is my preferred solution)

So far I have been lucky, and although, like you, it only just about turns over, it has always fired up.

Al

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your advice... Got it sorted!

Whilst busy [cough] working I got the battery checked and it was knackered. The car has been struggling to start since the winter, which I can now put down to the battery! A new battery and it started first time... Need to do some fettling as it is a bit wider than the old one but at least I can get home! :)

I'm running a highly customised Ford Pinto from an F2 Brica with a Wosp Starter so my initial thought was the battery just got killed in the heat soak...

You live and learn - all part of driving such a car...

M:)