Dash Finished, Opinions Please

Guest mcramsay

If you want to remove the crease, you need to make slits in the vinyl

at the rear of the dash almost up to the opening.

Either overlap & glue it or remove triangular cutouts so there is no overlap.

Ask anyone who makes clothes about darts.....not the pub game!

Guest mcramsay

I did cut slits, I didn't cut out the triangle on that section which is why it creased, luckily that part is stapled so I will be able to sort it out.

As a general question, what do people use to glue the vinyl on ? I used EvoStik on mine but found that in very hot weather it melts and the vinyl at the back comes loose. (Mind you I got the glue from a Pound Shop so it might be a Chinese knock-off :))

Guest alexpink

I used spray cans of glue for trimming (found easily on eBay) for the majority of areas. Around holes/cutouts and the backside I used a tin of trimming glue (can't remember what brand) painted on with a brush. Don't use too much glue or it'll delaminate. It shouldnt peel off even on a hot day if done properly, but depending on the substrate a couple of staples or plastic rivets can help hold it in place. Allow applied glue to tack off before sticking materials together.

I've got a really good finish on my dash which I'm happy with but I did spend a few months trimming all sorts of car parts at work so have a fair bit of experience and know what to look for to give a very high standard of quality.

I used a cheap vinyl leather which is quite shiny but very easy to clean; when I retrim it with heater vents added etc after IVA I'll probably use some higher quality material which actually looks like leather as I've now found a better supplier.

Edited by alexpink

Guest 2b cruising

Are you supposed to glue the foam to the dash and then the cover to the foam.

Can the same type of glue be used.

I was thinking an impact type of adhesive could melt the foam padding?

Glue the foam to the backing plate (whatever your dash is made from)

DO NOT glue the vinyl to the foam....it needs to be flexible enough

to slide over the foam to get rid of creases. Fold it behind the dash, making slits

or triangle cutouts as necessary then glue or staple it.

It's not quite as simple as it sounds! Practice on scrap first.

Ive recently found a good spray glue at Toolstation

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p40004?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s1P9SkgNC_dc&pcrid=46334900063&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAjwxYGuBRCtoqjkrIPDqDwSJAAn

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest alexpink

I disagree with not having glue between the foam and leather. Might make it easier to fit to shape but it gives a much worse finish and can sag very easily. It can be acceptable on small trimmed components with a small surface area but I wouldn't want to risk it on a large area like a dashboard.

I sprayed a light layer onto both foam and vinyl and it worked fine. If you have problems with wrinkles you can get rid of them with a heat gun. You want the leather to be fairly taught but not tight enough to kill the foam.

This is just how I was taught to trim... If its good enough for £250,000 cars then its good enough for my Hood

Also, if you don't have one already this is probably the most useful bit of kit in a trimmers toolbox

http://www.handtools-uk.com/images/bone%20folder%20heading.jpg

I'm impressed you managed to get up to 35mph with no steering wheel :-)

The vinyl looks very good to my inexperienced eye although, personally I would have spread the dials out a little more - aren't you left with potential weak points between those main dials?