Catalytic Converter

Guest Liam225

Guest Liam225

Hi, my Robin Hood has a pinto engine but it's a race engine so it doesn't have a number stamped into it. I've spoken to vosa and they say I need a cat. Anyone have one fitted and what type is it?

Thanks

Liam.

Can't Ford supply a letter giving last date of production of pinto engines? Alternatively it was common practice for replacement to come unstamped and the fitting garage used to put the old engine number on the new one. At least volkswagen did to my certain knowledge as I had a factory flat four replacement for my camper and the local dealer stamped the old engine number on the new one. Could you find an engine number off the old scrapped engine this one replaces?

Nigel

Assuming as above you are going for age-related or Q. I'd speak to an inspector at your nearest test centre. They sometimes go by the book but common sense does often prevail if you speak to a human. They can't expect a CAT (as required on post 92) on an engine that ford stopped making in 1991, whether you have a bit of paper or not shouldn't matter, the pinto afaik was never fitted to a production car with a cat.

Edited by agent_zed

Guest Liam225

Hi, thanks for all the answers, I spoke to vosa the other day over the phone and he said regardless of the age of the engine if I have no proof of a manufacture date on paper then it'll need a cat. They don't seem to care that the pinto wasn't made after a certain time. I was just told no proof cat needed. It sucks a little bit. I'll just have to buy an old pinto and steal copy it's number haha

I've been pondering this.

I don't currently have a scrap engine although some may say otherwise

Try finding a scrap block on Locost builders and Turbosports forum

If I can find the original paperwork for the original diner of my S3 i did throw the block away as it was beyond help but that was an age ago

Best option is a scrap block in your hands, you then have control

Burton Performance catalog has a Ford engine number age matrix

The first 2 letters denote the month and year of manufacture

Most Pinto's emmision requirements are

Before 1st Aug 1986. 4.5 CO. 1200. HC

After 1/8/86 up to 31/7/92. 3.5 CO. 1200 HC

Engine number age letters are 1981 B to 1987 H

no letter I

1988 J to 1992 N

July 1986 is GM

July 1992 is ND

First letter is the year and is consecutive missing the I

Second letter is the month and looks random but uses JUMPBRAGCKDELYST starting with January 1981 BJ

Guest Liam225

Hi cheers for all the help I've spoken to the bloke who made the car and he's going to email me a picture of the old engine code and a receipt for the engine which should be handy.

Guest 2b cruising

I don't think that will help as you have no proof that is the same engine.

Only looking from there point of view.

I know wich option I would take. Just to be safe.