Brackets For Roof Bars

Guest infernii

Guest infernii

Hi,

I have a wet weather roof kit to install but I don't have the brackets that hold the bottom of the bars. The ones that allow the roof to fold back.

Is there anywhere I can purchase these from or perhaps a product on ebay that would work?

Thanks,

Dan

Guest 2b cruising

My 2b uses the roll bar as the rear support and no other.

When fitted it is tight across the top and does not flap about.

I either have it on or off, folded in the boot.

No other bars or brackets required.

So do mine..it is not that tight as it coud be but it does the job..when its parked its a bit low but it rises when u speed up..and when u have roof off u have no ugly pile of bars...

I woud try without first and see what u think..then if u want u can always add some bars..

Guest infernii

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I will try without the bars first as I can see what you mean about a pile of bars mucking up the look of the car. I had a look on ebay under the suggested criteria and found a couple of hinges that would work so that will be my back up plan.

I know the roofs and doors are not meant to be watertight as these cars aren't designed for heavy weather travelling but I would like to get as close as humanly possible. I have read a few guides from previous posts on the best way to fit it but I am still unclear as what type of poppers to use? Some say twist locks, others say popper style? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

I used poppers along the top of the windscreen and around the rear of the car.

I used two twist locks as the final connectors by your elbows.

The poppers kept coming open.

But Either style will work just depends which you prefer the look of.

The poppers are a bit less obtrusive.

Guest infernii

How did you go about fixing the male end of the poppers to the windscreen surround?

I think twist locks may be the way forward for the edges like you have done, as I can imagine the pressure would be quite high and poppers would do well to hold the edges on the car.

Guest 2b cruising

I only use poppers, done the A1 several times at speed and had no problems.

Just a matter of when they loose there tightness through years of use, you should change them.

Guest infernii

I may start with poppers then and worst case, swap them out.

How do I go about fixing the male ends to the metalwork then? or are there special ones I can acquire e.g ones with a bolt on the back

I drilled and tapped the screen surround. Guard on the drill bit to prevent going through and hitting the glass. Then grind suitable 3mm panhead screws to a safe length. Still there 13 years on. I'm on my third soft top though. Insignificant wear on the male popper bases as I grease then now and then.

Nigel