Gearbox Questions?

Guest Pauljordan

Guest Pauljordan

Hi guys,

My neighbour has recently bought a JTB or JBT I'm not sure which! But has loads of problems with a leaking gearbox seal. Local garage took over a month to get new seal now told him sorry fitted new seal but still leaking £100 thanks and goodbye!

He has been told that the engine is from a mk4 cortina 1600 cc the gearbox is a 4 speed.

Does anyone have one of these gearboxes for sale?

Would a type 9 5 speed fit? If so does any one have one of these for sale.

Just trying to help him out as this is his first Kit car and don't want him to not have some fun from it! Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers PJ

Where is it leaking from - the front (bellhousing), the back (propshaft) or possibly the right-hand side towards the rear (speedo drive - unlikely though)?

5 speed might not actually be a positive step, depending on how he likes to drive it, the 4 speed is not a bad box so probably easier to just get the seal done.... properly.... :)

Edited by brumster

Depend which seal I have just done a rocket box with new bearings for my kit car they are easy to sort out with box out on bench as there is only 4seals on the box unless it is a gascket leaking

The Cortina/Sierra based version has an odd front suspension setup.

(not as odd as a sliding pillar!)

It tends to lift the front a bit under braking, & give +ve camber on hard cornering.

It doesnt handle badly on the road, but definitely not a track rocket....its also a bit heavy.

But as a grand tourer its great.