Doors

deano266

I used mild steel for a frame then got a local trimming place to sew up the fabric. All in all cost less than £100 for the pair and I got my own custom design/colour etc.

There's a little section on it in my blog: http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-neglected-blog-catch-up-post.html

Guest alexpink

I'm about to make some for my S7. Going to use aluminium to create the frame, some thin ABS plastic to fill in the gap in the lower half (will form to the curve that I will be making for elbow room) and then I will trim it in leather and sew up the outer side withcanvas.

Haven't found any suitably sized hinges yet, as a lot of the lift-off type seem much too big for what I require.

Also yet to find a suitable supplier of perspex or acrylic or something similar for the actual window, so if anyone has a good source it would be much appreciated.

Guest alexpink

Also on this topic... I have an S7 (mild steel) so can anyone see a any problems with using magnets hidden inside the doors to keep them sealed and closed against the bodywork?

My door I mean side-screen (yes I have but one) gains its structure from a perspex window mounted, towards the front of the vehicle, into a folded stainless steel bracket which has the hinges attached and locates into the windscreen frame. This window has been bent using heat to complement the angle between the bulkhead and the arm-rest where you get in and out of the car. Below the window is a 'flap' for want of a better word. This is made of spongy sheet (neoprene ?) sandwiched within vinyl. This completes the side screen and is fastened to the chassis from the inside with straps to keep it closed while you drive.

The whole thing is quite light. Another advantage is that when you have taken it off, the 'flap' will fold up against the perspex and makes storage easy, as the whole thing then becomes half the hight compared to when its fitted. I think this is not featured in the factory ones as they don’t fold - correct me if I’m wrong there. When folded it is easily stored in the 'boot' - again I look for a better word but boot will do do for now. I like this design and when I come to make the other side-screen I shall copy the existing one. Maybe I'll look for a better window material which does not scratch as easily. Polycarbonate might be better.

I can send a photo if you like.

I hope this is clear and helps.

Edited by GambolGold

I made each door out of one piece of polycarb then cut and rapped a piece of steel in leatheret then glued and riveted to polycarb and then a couple of plumbing valve handles to keep the doors shut got the lift off hinges from CBS