Smiths Gauges

jaimo

Tractor gave me a set of smiths clocks forgot about them which include speedo, rev counter and gauges now if I want to fit these to my kit Pinto engine Sierra sender's what do I have to do and what wire go where on rev counter ( took it apart and swapped wires and capacitor as stu read so now apparently negative earth is that enough so what wires go where etc.

Also the speedo needles wobbles around quite alot means moved up and down when clock shook should it do that or should it stay still on 0mph thanks

post-13351-0-21247100-1453227785_thumb.jpg

post-13351-0-15134600-1453228088_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaimo

Rew counter goes to coil..i think green one..cant remebmber where exactly...start hours up and remove green wires off coil til tacho stops on your old dash..then trace the wire..then your temp gauge will need 10v stabilizer and other wire to sierra sener..if not working order smiths sender on e-bay...worked on mine..

Is the speedo mechanical -- ie driven by a cable like a heavy bowden cable ? If so the bounce when shook is to be expected ( & avoided ) the needle is driven by the influence of a cable driven magnet against a hair spring resistance -- shaking may cause the needle to remain at speed even when stationary as the spring will have stretched.

The tacho may be just reading the coil current so RPM indicated may be just an indication ( not very accurate ) as it will depend on the coil used.

No rev counter on dash at minute and going megajolt so not sure if going to work with it but was from 4 cylinder and the speedo is cable driven.

The rev counter was positive switching and instruction on internet said to open and swap a green wire and capcitor over and then shud be neg switching so does anymne know will it work with megajolt if so what wires on revcounter go where.

Do i need resistor for tenp fuel etc

Guest Ian & Carole

Did the rev counter come from another 4 cylinder engine? If it came out of anything with more than 4 pots, you could under read your correct rpm.

Looks easy to swap over though.

Simon.

If you look at the 1st pic Simon you can see it says 4 cyl. on the face.

The wire pulse counters are very old and I would doubt you will get it to work with any thing other than a very basis points / coil set up.

Guest mower man

Once again my answer is bin the lot and get in touch with ETB instrumants , I know your position but the time you will spend effing about with others discards will build your engine :sorry: If I'm a bit hard mick

Thanks for pointing out the "4 cyl" on the picture. I missed that (it was rather small :) )

If the pulse counters are old and need a high voltage pulse from the coil, I could make a small interface circuit to match modern output to this. Probably only needs one or two transistors to do the job. (hint to Jaimo :) )

Simon.

Guest Ian & Carole

The wire that looks like a bit of nylon cord is the ground wire. The Green wire goes to the coil - the low voltage side of course. and the Red/White wire is the illumination.

Nige

Sorry to correct you Nige

The nylon looking cord is the "pulse "feed to and from the coil. one end connects to the coil and the other goes to the wire removed from the coil it is the pulse created by the coil that excites the rev counter and makes it work the more the coil works the higher the reading on the rev counter.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45645

The green wire is a 12v+ feed.

Edited by Ian & Carole