Fixing Rear Panel Trim

danielbrookes

I started the rear panel this weekend, really pleased with progress and result so far - except for the trim. The tadpole trim that goes round the top strip, what do people use to fix it?

I've used the black glue that attaches the panels and I'm not satisfied with the result. The trim doesn't sit right, hard to explain but I expected it to lay underneath the aluminum but I'm having to use clamps to hold it in whilst glue sets. It looks kind of messy, from a distance it's fine but close up not as neat as I thought it would be.

Am I being too much of a perfectionist? Would a different adhesive help? Interested to know what you guys used to fix.

Thanks!

Quick picture showing what I mean, it's hard to see but towards the bottom there is maybe a mm gap between the tube and the edge of the aluminium - I think it looks messy and will be obvious when it's on the car.

post-12984-0-29414700-1457303969_thumb.jpg

Edited by danielbrookes

Guest 2b cruising

I can see what you mean.

When I have used tadpole or p strips I have not had the need to glue or fix it.

I have always got away with trapping it between two panels.

If you are only fixing it to one panel, could you use a flat bar clamped to the unsealed side of the strip and clamp that to the strip to hold it evenly through its length until the adhesive sets. You could coat the bar with talc to stop any escaped glue from sticking to the metal bar.

Edited by 2b cruising

Be sparing with the glue if you go this route though, east to make a bl**dy mess

Search for 'shroud' on the blog for some pics...

Prep here: Rear panel - trim, re-assembly & spare wheel holes

Yup I think that's the issue, I've used far too much glue. I did read through your blog (very informative BTW) but it looks much easier in pictures and words than real life, as usual :). I'll take another look after work. Edited by danielbrookes

I don't remember bonding mine at all. I just placed it between the top of the bodywork and the trim panel and step by step, drilled and rivited. I cut out V shapes to allow it to go round the corners.