240V Light Switch For Round Terminal Box?

agent_zed

sorry not car related but you guys are a always a huge source of info. I have a length of metal conduit with a terminal box like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/deta-galvanised-metal-conduit-terminal-box-25mm/1476J?kpid=1476J&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Electrical%20and%20Lighting-_-Shopping%20-%20Electrical%20and%20Lighting&gclid=CjwKEAiA9om3BRDpzvihsdGnhTwSJAAkSewLt954Fv0Y51lF0MCcBdRTjlDMQXcibhqmtyuj6shiOBoCeRfw_wcBand i thought it looks pretty cool and wanted it as the light switch in my utility cupboard. Do they make light switches that fit it? i've done a quick search to no avail but wondered if anyone knew a place to look specifically.

thanks

p.s. i miss tinkering on my car :sorry: too much house renovating to do...

In days of old, like back in the 60's when conduit always meant lengths of steel, there were indeed switches that fitted straight on these "BESA" boxes.

(No, I Can't remember what BESA stands for ) You will need to look for second-hand porcelain bodied dolly switches or could be used as a ceiling box & I believe some ceiling switches ( maybe MK brand ) will fit with-out using the plastic pattress (base box )which makes it a surface mount.

cool thanks. I wonder if the round switch in my garage would fit on it, it think that is relatively modern?!. I have an old bakelite one but i don't really want to risk 50+ year old switches and burn my house down.

is there any reason i couldn't use something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOGGLE-DOLLY-SWITCH-10amp-20amp-2-WAY-POLISHED-CHROME-or-BRASS-or-SATIN-CHROME-/380632223847and mount it on a cover plate like http://www.qvsdirect.com/galvanised-steel-conduit-box-lid ? obviously everything would need to be earthed carefully as it it is all conductive (i've got all new consumer unit with 30ma RCD and trips etc). Don't want a shock. It would only be running a single light switch.

Just like the idea of an industrial type look as it's the old pantry that now houses the electrics/solar inverter/ network cables / music amplifier system :)

Guest 2b cruising

British Electrical Standards Association?

Yes too much time on my hands at the moment.....

Just waiting for 1st April to tax the Hood...

Hi Bob. To much time on hands eh.

I'm cleaning up 2 cars and a van ready for sale.

Why don't you pop along and polish them for me. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by 2b cruising

No to both as the dolly switch looks similar to a grid switch -- it should be totally enclosed. Bin the BESA box & fit a metal-clad switch if you want an industrial look with-out the risk of a tickle.

thanks. won't be as cool looking but could get one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-gang-2-way-switch-metal-clad/33685and run the metal conduit to it. Less likely to electrocute myself which is always good :)

Surprised they don't have switches for the round terminals as i can't see the point of a single terminal box. I can understand one with 2 entries/exits as 2 or more cables might be joined.

thanks all

Guest 2b cruising

Ken, this Bob don't do polishing.

No Bob. You were not expressing the point of have to little to do, to much time on your hands.

Volvo and Corsa now complete.

Just my wife's old van to get ready now.

Guest gselect

You could go to Dickinsons period house shop .com £18.00 upwards

Personly I would go with the modern industrial look. But that's because I am tight.

Edited by gselect