Engine Rebuild/setup Advice

Guest Seanus01

Guest Seanus01

Hi,

Spent the last few months spending a small fortune on rebuilding my 2.0 pinto. Bottom end total rebuild and rebore (+0.5) crank regrind big end, oil pump etc. Burton power stage 2 cylinder head turned up today, with brand new FR32 cam, and followers and vernier pulley to fit. Question I have is head gasket? Do I stick with standard or is it worth replacing this with a thinner one such as Felpro? What measurements are necessary to achieve best results and accurate compression ratio?

Additionally, what is the best way to dial in the cam, I was guessing rolling road?

Also have new accuspark electronic ignition and bike carb set up ready to fit. Off a few days next week, so should keep me busy.

Am hoping for 130bhp, do you think this is realistic?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated

Cheers

Sean

Ring Burton Power and ask them what gasket you should use with their head. I've always found them very helpful.

My engine is similar spec to yours but has standard injection head (lightly ported) and megajolt. I set up the cam as per Kent instructions. When the ignition curve and carbs were set up on the rolling road it produced 140 bhp at the flywheel and great torque.

Cam fitting and dial in instructions.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemFiles/Manuals/Kent%20Cams%20Fitting%20and%20Timing%20Instructions.pdf

http://www.kentcams.com/information-faq.asp

HP will depend on carbs & exhaust, but should be easily obtainable.

The FR32 is a really good compromise, with additional power at higher revs, and only a slight

loss of torque. It definitely makes the engine feel more responsive and sporty.

Edited by Bob Tucker

It's all about the head chamber volume

Is it standard 50cc or has it been skimmed and therefore smaller combustion chamber

It should be in the spec sheet

I should imagine it's close to standard, a photo of 1 of the chambers, spark plug hole to head face will give a clue

Also has block been decked? Piston to deck gap is important

If it were me Rhienz gasket off eBay 1.3mm thick gives a smudge more compression, there a very good gasket and cheap