Sealant On Bmw Rocker Gasket?

agent_zed

Hi,

my bmw 316 e46 is driving me mad. It was leaking oil from the rocker cover and that then sits on a plate above the exhaust that BMW designed specifically to alert the driver of the problem by creating a stinking burning oil smoke that comes through the air vents to render you unconscious so the crash investigations team can let you know it was the rocker cover leaking.

As i don't wish to drive around in 1930's london smog i changed the rocker gasket. I figure this would cure the problem.

It did not.

It seems to use rubber grommets to provide the downward force on the cover so tightening the bolts does nothing but risk snapping them. So i tried a trick where you put larger washers over the grommets so it can't squidge around the smaller washers and provides more downforce.

This still did not stop the leak.

So my question is can i just gasket sealant the crap out of it? i've used hylomar blue stuff on various things in the past. will this be ok?

thanks

cool thanks. Will give that a go when i can be bothered to dismantle the 10 ton of plastic and scuttle to get to the actual engine. Reminds me how much easier it is to work on my 2b -> open bonnet - there is engine.

BMW -> open bonnet - hmmm lots of plastic covers i guess there must be an engine in there somewhere.

Without knowing your specific beemer engine, typically with new gaskets and the rubber rings that sit under the cover bolts you need only to use gasket sealant on the corners of the the half moon cut-outs in the head. Just a dab is needed. This is assuming there is no damage to the mating surfaces. Having said that you can use sealant on the gasket if you are sensible with the quantity. Never had an issue with my M44 but my M54 needed all new gaskets and rubbers before it would stop using the exhaust manifold as an oil vaporiser! A PO has used sealant on my S54 that I'll fix with new gaskets.

Edited by Megadodo

I got some Wynns gasket maker from Euro car parts

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/car-adhesives-tapes-sealants/quick-gasket/?555770660&0&cc5_139

It has solved my constantly leaking Redtop.

I can even park it on OHs new drive!

• Like 1

Guest mcramsay

I wouldnt use a sealant on a rubber gasket, from experience the silicone rtv will act like a lubricant and will cause the rubber to squeeze out of the joint as it compresses as there is no friction to hold it in place. If the gasket doesn't deal with the bolts done up then it has deformed and needs to be replaced, BMW designed the bolts to give the correct compression when they bottom out on the stop that is machined on the bolt. This way you cannot over tighten the cam cover. My m3 lump used a similar head cover. I had a leak as you described and changing for a new oem gasket cured it instantly. I tried sealant on the faces and it ripped the bolt holes in the rubber gasket where it squeezed out so much