Redtop Dipstick

kevin the chicken

Probably a really stupid question but here goes. Is there any reason why my dipstick should not go all the way down in to the Sump?

I am just swapping over the sbd sump on to my new engine and found that there is no way the dipstick will go in the sump as there is no hole for it in the baffle plate. There is however a hole a similar distance from the edge at the other end of the sump which has been drilled after casting so I am wondering if the numpty who built the car measured up and drilled in the wrong place and then didn't realise as the dipstick is quite bendy and slides along the plate.

The picture on the sbd website only shows the frying pan shaped hole for the oil pickup pipe.

I am guessing I need to drill a hole in the correct Place?

Guest 2b cruising

Not a topic about a new Top Gear presenter, then.......

I doubt it.

This topic doesn't seem to be that boring.

Edited by 2b cruising

Problem is now resolved. I can now see what happened. The person who put the engine in carefully measured where the dipstick needed to go through the sump and then drilled the baffle plate at the right distance from the edge. Lovely neat job. Unfortunately at the wrong end of the baffle, whacked the sump on with loads of mastic oozing out both inside and out,jammed the dipstick in and went for a drive. Job done. Badly.

I haven't even watched top gear, can't stand Evans and everybody said it's pants anyway.

• Like 1

Guest Ian & Carole

Thread hijack coming up here :crazy: :rofl:

Watched 1st episode and not really impressed. Watched last nights and really enjoyed it.

I still think it is a shame that the BBC didn't change the stale format that had become the Clarkson "road show" , now that is one smack head I do not like. :glare: <_< :o

Although the humour the 3 had was good, and move it on, instead of giving Evans and co the same old same old to try and work with. :aggressive:

Much improved but room for more improvement IMHO. :clapping: :clapping:

Guest 2b cruising

Back to thread high jack.

Ian, could you not still see the audience straight aced but supposed to be laughing at the same time.

When they did actually laugh, they were all looking to their right, just away from the presenters as though they were looking at a laugh prompter or screen telling them when to.

I must admit, Eddie seemed quite genuine when in Africa. But not at the bombshell moment.