Metal Working Lathe

edbond

Hi All,

I don't know where else to turn for advice :)

I have a wanting for a lathe for when I need something round, a hole it it, shaped, notched, tapered, grooved and other things I don't need yet but will one day. They are a lot of cash, and I have no experience so not sure what things to look for.

Most of my stuff is machine mart / axminster - so was thinking something like http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-model-engineer-series-sc2-mini-lathe-505102

Is it worth saving some more and look to get one with power feeds such as SC4?

How important is knowing visually using a digital gauge what you are changing, verses measure, take some off, measure again / experience?

Any thoughts, musing would be appreciated :)

Ed

How important is knowing visually using a digital gauge what you are changing, verses measure, take some off, measure again / experience?

I've just held a 'machining' experience day, and even in the 6 hours that it took place, we only scratched the surface regarding what's important etc............so without writing chapter and verse.....the dial gauges are extremely important.

Your link to the axminster is for a brand new one at over £700.........not the best value for money in my opinion, and especially not when considering the sc4 is over £1400!!!. If this is your budget, my opinion is that you are much better off buying a second hand myford ML 7 (or super7 if you wanted to splash out).........the differences between modern 'small' lathes and myford is like comparing a cheap 3/8 ratchet against a snap-on ratchet.

The modern lathes may look nice, but in my experience, they tend to shake themselves loose all the time and are not as accurate as something like a myford.

• Like 1

I've got a myford and wouldn't be without it! Turned all sorts: bushes, spacers, adaptor plates and shortened bolts leaving a nice finish. Also have done small milled pieces using a vertical slide although I wish I had a small miller.