Shock Absorber Snapped

AndyW

I also found some pics of shocker mounts in Al Milton's posts.

They do look similar to yours.....my apologies for the red herring!

Just search "super spec" in forums at the top of the home page & go through them

Been away for the weekend, so just catching up. Thanks all for the suggestions - looks like I need to get some steel tube to make proper spacers for the top shock mount, and check the bolt size.

Fitted new cam belt and aux belt today today - gulp! Bit of a pig to get around the engine mount. Now time to do some compression tests to check for any piston/valve damage, and perhaps try starting it tomorrow. Seems the Rover t-series (M16) engine is an interference type. At least the presenter on the Rover 800 Series Service Insight video on YouTube refers to it as "unsafe" because the valves can hit the pistons if they lose their relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

Referring back to Rob's comment (post 21) about the top mounting, I've now discovered that the Gaz shocks have 1/2" bushings but the top mounting bolt on my SuperSpec is 10mm, which is why it looks sloppy at an angle in the photo in post #17. Too much play. Checking the broken shock it has an extra inner steel sleeve that has been inserted to reduce the 1/2" diameter down to 10mm. Dave at Dampertech thinks he might still have some sleeves somewhere so is going to send me a couple.