Raising The Ride Height

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

So this is a bit opposite to the norm but in the future I want to raise the ride height of my marlin. The sump sits quite low, with the exhaust manifold sitting another half inch Lower than that.

The m3 engine used a twin pick up sump with very fancy baffles so modifying it isn't an option. The manifold could be modified but the work involved is almost a winter project in its self. I cannot raise the engine any higher as I won't be able to close the bonnet!

So currently I have gaz shocks front and back. To get the car out my drive and on a trailer I had to wind the coil overs right up to the point where they are nearly coil bound. So my question is how can I get another inch or so of height?

i thought possibly fitting longer coilovers?

I would firstly check with Marlin and make sure you are not currently too low on ride height. Then ask them what they think the max ride height is that won't upset the handling. Then reset to this using stronger springs but probably of the same length or possiby longer springs of the same poundage. Depends what Marlin say about spring poundage range for the car. Bigger wheels might be a solution. Going from 15 to 17 inch gives you an extra inch clearance but will change the look of the car. Again ask Marlin.

Then if that does not give clearance I would be looking at raising the engine mounts or dry sumping and alterations to the exhaust to give more clearance if needed.

Just fitting longer stronger springs would be my last resort.

Nigel

Guest mcramsay

Handling wise I will not be track racing the car, however I do understand I have a big engine and want to feel confident and that I am not driving what feels like a boat!

I can't raise the engine mounts as there is no clearance. Dry sump kits are also around 2 grand. Not an option!

I will be modifying the manifolds to give better clearance but again another big job!

The car is off to marlin next month for iva so I will speak to them then.

Maybe it's a case of gaining small amounts here and there. For instance a few mm can be gained from a larger wheel/ tyre combination as long as it doesn't throw your speedo off too much. Add that to your wound up springs/spacers and possibly a few mills on the engine mounts, could that be enough?

Guest 2b cruising

There is at least one more Marlin in the Marlin clubs that has the same engine.

I would also have thought the sump would be lift able by removing material from the top end and refitting the bolt mounting plate.

As Gargoil states there's always a spare inch by using out of the box thoughts.

Guest mcramsay

There is one m3 Marlin I know of, but has a completely different front and back suspension set up to mine. Different donor cars. I'm not too sure I understand what you mean about raising the sump? I agree every little helps and its something I will need to look into once I start using the car properly. The exhaust manifold mods will most likely sort the issue, just don't think I can face redoing the exhaust system just yet!!! Maybe over winter after iva!

I had to wind the coil overs right up to the point where they are nearly coil bound. So my question is how can I get another inch or so of height?

i thought possibly fitting longer coilovers?

Not an easy one to explain in a few words, but here goes.

Regardless of ride height, the distance between the coils is determined solely by the weight of the car.

If by raising the adjustable spring seat you have reduced the distance between coils, then there is a mechanical

interference stopping the car being lifted.

There can be many reasons, eg on my car the top ball joint jams before the coilover is fully extended.

If you have wishbones, that could be the same reason, or the coilover could be fully extended,

so longer coilovers could well be the solution.

You need to make some careful measurements, & put on a sherlock holmes hat to see exactly why

you cant raise the car.

If you want to talk it over, pm your tel. no

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest 2b cruising

Also let us know the lb age and rest length of the springs. I have two in my shed that might be of use to you if the right ones.

Not worth posting either if lighter or shorter than the ones you already have.