Traction Control

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Not everyone's favourite electronic gizmo but it's something I am interested in for the marlin. The light car and massive enginr combo is a dangerous mix, and personally I'm am not a racing driver or have any eperience with what to do when things go south! Racelogic used to do the perfect unit, however they no longer make the traction control systems, does any one know of any alternatives?

Guest mcramsay

I did find a massive long post on the Westfield forum by a guy who made his own. As fun as it looks to do he put a lot of work in for his specific car, and it's not something o was looking to make into a massive project. But by the looks of things it's either look for a second hand racelogic unit or spend 1000's on a Bosch motorsport one. Which isn't an option!

There are lots of driver training courses out there, some better than others, and a lot depends on your current level of driving ability. If that is something you are interested in I can highly recommend http://www.high-performance-course.com and http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/ all of whom I've had the pleasure of driving with and learning from.

Edited by theduck

Guest mcramsay

I think the suggestions of driving courses are looking the like best option, been reading up on how the racelogic works, which is by cutting the injectors to limit power. This would upset the BMW ecu as I would start seeing multiple misfires and go into limp home mode. Time to start living looking at some courses

How much of the bmw ecu are you using? could you lift the entire system from a bmw?

I came off a roundabout in my 316 which isn't particularly powerful but i think there was a bit of oil or something on the road, it was also quite wet at the time as well ... both rear wheels lost traction at the same time and i had to steer into the skid a bit. The traction control didn't even kick in i assume because both wheels were doing the same spinning as they both lost traction at the same time. So it's not a cure all. Although i do see it kicking in on the odd bump as i accelerate. Thankfully having driven my 2b for 7 years or so i'm much more aware of the risk of the back end stepping out even with my very humble engine.

Mine you i have no where near as much power as your monster!!

Guest mcramsay

The mss50 ecu on the e36 m3 only had ASC not full on traction control. there are no inputs from a traction control unit into the ecu. Well I say that BMW seem to change their mind on what's on a perticular wiring diagram every month!!

Proper traction control units will measure relative wheel speeds from all four wheels using abs sensors and rings.

Fords system also has inertial sensors to measure lateral G thus giving the ECU information on Yaw as well. It will then nip the brakes on individual wheels to try and correct a spin

I used to regularly feel it working on my Mondeo on damp roundabouts when being a tad enthusiastic