Battery Conditioner

Guest mark little

Guest mark little

Alright all,

I've been thinking of getting a battery conditioner to keep things topped up on the car, the immobilizer runs the battery down. Can you keep the battery connected to the car or do you have to disconnect it, I don't want to lose the code in the radio.

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

I have a Solar Panel fitted to the outside of our garage to keep the Hood topped up, I check on a regular basis it is also fitted with an immobilizer and if it has dropped power I top up with a Battery Charger.

My HD has an immobilizer and other electrical devices and the dealer sold me a Battery Conditioner / Charger that is constantly attached to the bike with the battery in place. It monitors the battery and ensures it is kept in optimum condition. The one from the dealer was quite expensive, I have seen Chargers/Conditioners being sold on a regular basis at both Lidl and Aldi, BANGGOOD also offer a similar item but for the moment have stuck with the Aldi and Lidl items.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve49er

Guest old_timbo

I use a CTEK charger / conditioner and have not lost a battery over the winter since. They come with a lead that you can permanently wire to the battery (as well as the usual crocodile clips) so that all you need to do is to unplug at the connector in the lead and drive away. No need to take the battery out.

Tim

I've always used an optimate to keep my m/c batteries topped up. Wired one of their fused weatherproof sockets permanently to the battery and connect the optimate to that if I'm not going to use the bike for long periods. Never lost a battery yet.

I use a charger conditioner which can be left on all the time although I generally just put it on periodically as I am a bit wary about leaving Electrics plugged in permanently. Probably just being over cautious but I do tend to see these things when they go wrong. Our pump went to a house fire caused by a mobile phone charger. Brand new house gutted from top to bottom.

Guest lotusPaul

I posted in a previously done thread about the Lidl version. Normally sold around these cold periods too. It charges at different rates depending on condition until it gives a small amp charge to keep it tip top. Less than 15 pounds and is a real great bit of kit. You can leave it on for months too. Banging addition to the garage.

as above i've used a solar trickle charger to keep it topped up. My bmw used to run the battery down in less than 2 weeks if i didn't use it so going on holiday could be a problem. Left it with the solar charger at the airport carpark and 2 weeks later no troubles starting it. New battery now so no problem.

My battery on the 2b amazes me, bought it for £10 from a scrappy a couple of years ago and hasn't let me down. Started the pinto the other day after 2 or 3 months standing without starting. No charging at all. Guess there is nothing to drain it like a modern car with immobilisers etc

Guest mark little

All sorted, got the ctek mxs 5, what a great bit of kit plug it in and forget about it. It certainly pays to shop around, it was £80 at halfords, £50 on Amazon.

Thanks for the help

Cheers Mark