Superspec Rover Air Filter

AndyW

Just managed to get my Superspec through MoT retest today after initially failing on emissions. One of the things we found was that the engine ran much better, with lower CO, and had a crisper response when the air filter was removed.

This leads me to suspect that the filter is old and probably blocked or too restrictive, and is making the mixture too rich. It's a cheapo cone filter fitted directly to the throttle body intake above the starter motor, and probably draws hot air in from the nearby exhaust headers. Not sure if this was the RHE supplied type of filter as a Rover type airbox for a panel filter isn't fitted.

So can other Superspec owners recommend an effective air filter that will fit the Rover 2.0 t-series engine. Don't want to go for anything mega-expensive. Also where have you got it fitted, or how have you ducted it.

Cheers, Andy

I just went on E-Bay and bought a universal (65mm-80mm) cone filter. Finished up getting two as the first one was too wide at the base of the filter. So the lesson is to measure first and don't limit yourself to the input diameter. :)

And as you know my original builder took a duct all the way to the front of the car and just tucked the filter inside the top of the nose cone. I would recommend that approach.

Image1_zpss7ayxthz.jpg

• Like 1

Handy to know that everyone is running similar universal filters. I'll try a new one.

Hi Andy I have an unused universal type if you want it?

Hi Peter, yes please. PM sent. Cheers Andy