Vicky Green More Help

Guest olly

Guest TerryBarry
Yes it must be hard to read it out of Mr Haynes manual

I'm sure that Dave G [not Q ] has worked this out for himself - since it bears no resemblence to anything in my Haynes manual.

Anyway he has 13 connections on the panel - one better than me.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerryBarry
BILL ITS A NORM SIZE TIN BUT I NEED ROOM TO PUT MY POP AND CRISPS AND APPLE

I THINK IT MAKES SENCE

PUT A BIT OF CARPET THERE TIN ON TOP POP AT THE SIDE HA GOT IT SUSED

Have you ever wished that you had an Enigma coding machine attached to your PC :D :D :D

Guest Jonny Norn Iron

Hi guys

Another new boy!

I'm building a RH 'Traditional' and that shows how long I've been at it. I tried wiring in the donor loom - it was a mess, though got enough working to find that I have a decent 2 litre engine.

Have followed the advice of many in forking out on a PWS loom - great service and what looks like a very well sorted loom.

Am looking at the instrument plug - and looking, and looking .....

Has anyone come across the following 13 pin wiring set up (no's are those on the plug)?

1 Blue

2 Black/White

3 Brown

4 Blue/ White

5 Black/Yellow

6 Blue/Green

7 Brown/ Yellow

8 Blue/Black

9 Yellow/White

10 Brown

11 Red/White

12 Black/Green

13 Black/White

When it comes to electrics I am THE WORST and haven't a clue about what function is running from each pin.

Jonny

PS You mean I need a battery? But where will I put it?

What instrument panel have you got in there?

Ford had some standard colours but changed regularily so an educated guess is below.

1 Blue...................terminal 61 on alternator for ign light

2 Black/White.........

3 Brown.................earth

4 Blue/ White.........main beam indicator

5 Black/Yellow.......power in from ignition live

6 Blue/Green..........oil pressure?

7 Brown/ Yellow.......brake warning light from brake resevoir

8 Blue/Black............fuel sender

9 Yellow/White.........

10 Brown................earth

11 Red/White..........from engine temp sender?

12 Black/Green.......right indicator

13 Black/White........left indicator

Not sure about 6. Ford did use brown/green as well for temp sender. Ditto 11. brown/white also used.

Ford usualy used green for tacho take off from neg side of ignition coil. Also missing is panel illumination, usualy grey/yellow which might be 9. white/yellow on your instruments which could mean 2. black/white is the missing tacho feed.

You can play around with putting 12volts in to 5. Bk/Y and earthing 3 and 10, both browns. Then if you earth in order 1......ign light on, 6........oil press light on, 7.........low brake fluid light on, 8.......fuel gauge moves, 11.......temp gauge moves. Then try power in 4.....main beam light, 9.......dash illumination, 12.....R indicator light, 13 L indicator light if there are two indicator lights on the panel. Otherwise ford sometimes wired a single light between the two sides so earth 12 and power 13 for a single light.

You can also sometimes follow the printed circuits on the back and find out what they seem to go to.

Good luck.

Nigel

Guest Jonny Norn Iron

Nigel

Standard Sierra instrument binnacle (tacho, fuel, water temp, speedo).

I have a feeling that the Black/White at 2 might be the seat belt warning light - but I could be wrong.

The tacho one is a real bugger! Green sounds right as the PWS one is light green and they tend to follow the standard Ford colours (such as they are).

I'll try your suggestion on feeding 12v in and checking.

You could well have saved me quite some headaches.

What a helpful bunch you Hoodies are!

Jonny

Terry

I'm sure that Dave G [not Q ] has worked this out for himself

You are right...the Haynes manwell has 12 connectors and bears no resemblance to my A reg Ghia's instrument... :rolleyes: so I figure there must me at least 2 different types.

Dave with a bloody G :lol: :D :p ;) Billy Boy :wub:

PS Jim's been drinking again! He called Olly Steve

DaveGQ, obviously doesn't know that if you click the "login name" you see their real name (providing they've put it!) in their profile................. :rolleyes:

Steve, instruments are easy. you basically got one circuit that is =ive and -ive return for the instrument lights. a wire coming from the coil for the tacho -ive. then all the rest are fed from a loop of 12v +ive (from the light switch) with all the senders being the -ive (earth) side of each clock. so just work out what each pin goes to, by following the "track" on the back.

The column switches are another thing! :angry: Ford made a few different types, each is wired slightly different to the next, so it's important that you know which type you have.