Has my belt slipped? What's this in the water!

Tickover

Evening all!

Question for the pinto engine gurus... been a long time since I done work like this on a motor. So In the process of replacing the water pump and flushing out the system overheated on a small run and turns out No thermostat in the engine.. took rad out and flushed that out with the hose and this came out... any ideas?

So then thought I'll do a belt change and when I put the crank pulley to TDC the cam pulley wouldn't line up with the mark on the head 🤦🏻 so has my belt slipped and knocked my timing out? 

Any advice on how to fix these issues? I'd it just a case of new belt and move the cam pulley into correct position? Starts and runs okay only been on one run and overheated and it wasn't a poky as expected..

PXL_20230916_133045673.MP.jpg

PXL_20230916_130537723.jpg

Looking at the s**t that came out of the cooling system I wonder if some time in the past a previous owner has lost coolant and filled up by scooping water from a puddle.

Looking at the timing pic I normally expect the backing plate timing mark to be central to the pulley so i suspect that timing is out.

The standard 2l pinto is non contact ( the valves cannot touch the piston ) but at this age you do not know what rebuild mods have been incorporated in the engine, so there should be no damage just a power loss that should be recoverable by reseting the timing.

11 hours ago, IanS said:

Looking at the s**t that came out of the cooling system I wonder if some time in the past a previous owner has lost coolant and filled up by scooping water from a puddle.

😂😂 that could explain that.

With the timing being out a bit would the contribute to overheating? I'm guessing the crap in the rad wouldn't help.

I'd better get a cam belt kit ordered up @IanS thanks

I managed to get the belt one tooth out on the pinto in my 2B.  It started and ran fine but when I took it out for a run it just didn't seem to be as smooth or powerful as before.  No damage done & no overheating problem with mine and the engine ran like before as soon as I put the belt right.

I have no idea what the "stuff" is that you've got out of the cooling system though.

Steve