Temp gauge readings ?

LeicJim3a

So with Sunday coming being the longest run my car will have done since all the work I got in a panic about engine temp as gauge was inoperable, silly as it has never even suggested over heating on 20 + mile runs. I have fitted a new gauge and temp sensor and ran it up 10mims no cap on and another 10-15 mins with cap on all seems good the gauge is only reading 70 Deg C is this about right ? Or would we expect it to be higher ?it is a cheapo aftermarket gauge

Also what is the ideal running temp when I get it on the road at weekend ? At what point/temp is it getting too hot ? 

70C is a bit on the low side.  The normal advice is to run it 80C+ so that all the volatiles in the system boil off.   I think most of us run it even higher.  Personally I have an 88C thermostat and a 95C fan and the engine runs nicely at 90-93C.   The maximum temperature you want is just below boing point.   In my Rover system the cooling is pressurised so I can get away with 120C, although I would actually never let it get that high.  

Al

• Thanks 1

I hope you've got some inside information and we're going to have some glorious sunshine on Sunday 😄

My pinto used to run between 85 & 90, it had an electric fan that kicked in about 85ish.  I only ever remember it going over 90 once, when I was stuck in a line of traffic on a red hot summer day.  It went up to about 95 but didn't boil over or anything, and it soon cooled down to 90 as soon as there was some fresh air through the rad.  If I recall the thermostat opening was 89 degrees.

Don't panic until it's getting close to 100 !! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both, I will run it up again tomorrow for longer and get it to temp, I’m 99.9% sure all is good but that 0.1% can keep me awake ! And yes I Will personally guarantee the most glorious October Sunday in living memory ! You are very welcome 😉