Click on key turn then nothing

Brian75

Hi everyone,

Car has been running great after engine rebuild, new carb, bestek ignition etc and MoT in August. However, about 5-6 weeks ago I went to start it and got a couple of clicks on turning the key then nothing, not getting to turn over. Tested the battery and it was falling to 7v so have replaced this with a new Odyssey extreme. Tried again - cut off switch on, ignition light come on (hazards etc work), turn to start and get 1 click and ignition lights go out.

Possibly the starter motor? Don't think its a fuse because it repeats, assuming it is electrical but I have no idea about electrics so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Getting ready to sell it so obviously need to resolve this issue!

Edited by Brian75

Check earth strap from engine back to battery. There could be 2 or 3 straps between battery and engine and chassies before going for a new starter.

Check for warm connections between battery and starter on both positive and earth they should be cold imediatly after trying to start for 10 to 15 seconds, if they are warm then you have a suspect connection.

Does the car bump start?

Final check is the ignition switch but doubt this if battery falling to 7V.

Put a jump lead from the engine to the negative on the battery, does that change anything, if it does as IanS says earth leads, if it doesn't it's either the starter or the switch. To test the starter remove the small lead that is coming from the switch attach a new wire to it & go straight to live, does the starter spin now or click, click it's the starter, spin it's the switch

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Yes Foz, I did test the new battery as well. However, I've just remembered that a few weeks ago the car got a right soaking and I haven't started it since - must have got water in the engine bay so it must be that causing a bad earth. I'll need to have a good look around it to see if there is anything obvious.