Indicators flash fast both sides

DaveA76

Hi all

I've just changed my front indicators to more compact units and now the both direction flash fast, all indicators are working, swap back to old units and they flash normal speed, as I'm rubbish with electrics this could probably be an easy fix but I'm not sure where to start 

Can anyone help me out and give me direction ( pardon the pun )

3 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Are they LED by any chance?

I suspect so, @DaveA76 you have 2 options really, either buy something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394433263160 & wire one into each side.

Or do you know how many pins are on your flasher replay as you should be able to swap that out for a LED version.

Just to explain the logic here so you understand the reasoning for the question.   The speed the indicator flashes is dependent on the current load flowing through the flasher unit.  That is why if one bulb fails you get the double-speed for the rest, as the current has reduced.

Now, LEDs only take a fraction of the current compared with traditional bulbs, so if you have fitted LEDs that would explain the problem.  So you have 2 solutions as recommended by phaeton.   If you insert resistors in serial with the LEDs the higher resistance will induce more current flow so your flashers should slow down.  Alternatively get an LED-specific flasher unit designed to operate at a lower current level.

Hope that makes sense.

2 hours ago, phaeton said:

I suspect so, @DaveA76 you have 2 options really, either buy something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394433263160 & wire one into each side.

Or do you know how many pins are on your flasher replay as you should be able to swap that out for a LED version.

Absolutely perfect thanks, just ordered a pair, 

Knew it was to with the resistance due to the leds but had no clue on how to rectify, all makes sense now