SVA/IVA or not?

Ant_Harvey

Hi - I have a Q registered kit car that has been off the road for 30 years. The log book is correct and states - Robin Hood as the manufacturer. I'm looking at getting it back on the road - do I need to put it through an IVA or SVA or is it ok as is and just need to get it MOT prepped?
Follow up question - the engine has been swapped out since the Q plate was issued, it states 1600cc and its an 1800cc fitted. Do I need to swap back to a 1600 or can I update the log book with the new engine....and final one, if it needs to be swapped back (MX5 engine) to the 1600 does it matter that the enine number has changed. Apologies for the flurry of questions. Thanks in advance.

No, if the V5 looks OK, no need for an IVA (SVA is the old system that IVA replaced). Only needs a new IVA if you change the chassis/body in some way - changing the engine is fine but you need to tell the DVLA because it may affect what emissions you need to be tested for at MOT time.

Engine number is irrelevant these days - mine is blank because my engine was brand new from the warehouse and they don't stamp codes on them until they get to the factory.

Re Nelmo's comment above on engine emissions for MOT purposes. You have the advantage of a Q plate which means the emissions test is a visual only. As long a it's not smoking excessively you will be ok.

9 hours ago, HAWKNORTH said:

Re Nelmo's comment above on engine emissions for MOT purposes. You have the advantage of a Q plate which means the emissions test is a visual only. As long a it's not smoking excessively you will be ok.

Yes, I did think that was possible but I wasn't sure...

8 hours ago, Bob Tucker said:

in some cases in the past the DVLA has asked for an engineers report to confirm the new details. Not always, as usual the DVLA are inconsistent.

Never heard of them asking for an engineers report, but when I have done it in the past I have had to get a garage to confirm that the engine is physically fitted in the vehiclle & confirm the capacity being claimed.