Firewall And Footwell

Guest Jon 2B+

Guest Jon 2B+

I have a problem!

I have spent most of the day trying to work out how to assemble all the panels for the firewall and passenger footwell.

The problem I have is: I was told on collection day that the design had changed so that the battery now sits on the floor and there is no battery tray. The passenger footwell end is now much larger and fits further back against the vertical chassis memeber on the outside of the car (only short people allowed!). This leaves space for the battery infront of the passengers feet. The tunnel top appears much shorter than photos I have seen of other peoples (lines up with the footwell panel) so that must mean my firewall is different? No. It is the same as the one on the video. This means I will have a gap over the gearbox of 6inches! Either I am missing something obvious or I have suffered at the hands of RHSC.

Has anyone else got this 'updated' battery arrangement a sorted out how things are intended to fit? I have difficulty believing it is this far out....

Jon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jon 2B+

I have been messing around some more and I am utterly convinced there is no way it will fit together without a total re-design. If it was a cost saving excercise, RHSC have saved the battery tray material but have had to make the passenger footwell twice the size. Go figure.

Anyway, I am going to revert to the way they sent out kits before. I'll make a new footwell panel and then make a battery tray from scratch. At least then I won't have to carry one of thoses fairground signs with me- 'You must be shorter than this to ride in my car' :D . So much for 'improving' the design. Now I am just a panel short :angry: .

The gap in the tunnel top over the g'box, I will make up by feeding the tunnel top 'cricket bat' through the chassis members over the g'box. I don't see the point in bending it right up behind the dash panel anyway :blink: .

Jon

Guest TerryBarry

Having looked at the demo car RHSC had on show at Detling - I was not convinced about the battery mounting.

Here's a pic of the firewall (I use the term loosely) - getting the battery out looks like a hernia job

Some builders have mounted the battery in the boot :D

Guest TerryBarry

Yes - I'd agree -you'd need to burn the midnight oil on that job

It's just that the ( modified; adjusted; perjurious ) misquotation bore some resemblance to similar items seen in the gutter press.

Guest Andy Hamilton

duh..... no, it's obviously a real cricket bat. Well that is what I used anyway. I emptied out a load of unused pritt sticks as well to hold the battery in place.... I just hope the gloop doesn't melt when the engine is running at temp! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Guest Battery Bill

Andy

I emptied out a load of unused pritt sticks as well to hold the battery in place.... I just hope the gloop doesn't melt when the engine is running at temp!

You would not have had that worry if you had positioned your battery in a better place :p :lol: :lol: