Top Speed?

Guest Handlebars

Guest Handlebars

As I finally got round to getting a speedo cable, I thought I'd see what the top end was. (On a private motorway obviously) My 3a has a standard 2l pinto (recon) and a four speed 'box. 85mph. Is this about right, as it seems a bit crap. :(

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

Mine used to go 115-120 ish... with the 3.92 diff... about 102-105 with the 3.62 diff.

2L unleaded head, Piper 285, 38 DGAS, Aldon Dizzy, 4-1 straight through.

Guest Stuart Ainslie

How many of these speeds are validated ?

People always rattle on about top speeds of their cars but take into account the inaccuracies of your average speedo against say a GPS, and they look silly...

Just came back from Le Mans in a newish Porsche and at speed, that was reading 10 mph over. What is your average DIY / Ford / Honda etc. speedo going to read over ?

Guest johnboymac

85mph in a 1.6 carb no screen (helmets) - still had a little more to give but was its first shakedown so didn't want to overdo it....

I agree the point re gps\validation - I regularly check my speedo against my gps in the Laguna, it tends to read 50 at 45(gps).

J

Cor... weedy!

The DOHC carb version managed 100 on the way to SVA easily with plenty left over. And this was with the RH exhaust baffle thingie although admittedly without a windscreen. I decided that was enough in an untested car (but then how do you test it safely?) and backed off.

This engine only has a measly 105bhp and that's when it was new. Mine's been round the clock.

Best get yours down the tuners!

Oh, as regards speedo inaccuracies, if your SVA was recent or you still have the speedo test results you'll know how accurate or otherwise your speedo is. At an indicated 100 I was probably doing 95.