2.0 Pinto Tuning

Hi, just wondering what everyone would do if they had a standard, but brand new 2.0 Pinto and around £200 ish to spend on the rebuild, if you could sell bits then that would free up cash. i.e the standard but never used cam.

Thought of a fast road cam and a good air filter is about all i can afford but will it cut down my 0-60 time?

Maybe twin 40's and cam but probably over £200, maybe sell standard new cam on ebay for a few quid, but i already have a 38 DGAS so is it worth spending the extra on 40's

Anyway hopefully someone with a bit more experience and knowledge has some good ideas????

If you could give me expected BHP and 0-60 times for the set up it would be appricated, my recently poor times have made me obsesed with trying to get it below the current 8 secs :(

Also just looking at the old pinto sitting in the car and it seems to be on the wonk, i presume it should be fairly straight but i am using standard mountings and is on the standard 2B mountings ??

Thanks, all help very welcome

Simon

Cheers Chris but it seems such a shame to just put it back together as standard, although might be wise as no doubt i should 'run it in'

Just seems like any changes i should do, maybe do them now while its out and in bits, save spending money on head bolts and gaskets again

I would get a FR32 cam, (or equivalent) then modify the dizzy (or get it done, recent thread about this) then once rebuilt, get the carb set up properly.

That should see you to around £200.

In my opinion, Stay as far away from twin 40's as you can! (unless you have shares in BP!)

Guest Battery Bill

Simon

I agree with Chris, use it as standard to start off with. It still has plenty of Ooomph and you won't hear Big Jim ever complaining about being held up by our Pinto :lol: :lol: And also your £200 will be eaten up doing a standard rebuild anyway.

Bill

Guest docter fox

IIRC he's got the rebuilt standard one already and you have £200 to spend on tuning it?

IMO,keep the DGAS and go for a Kent FR32 or Piper 285 (equivalent one)

I've got the FR32 and can get to 60 in about 7.2 seconds :) (well it was on one attempt, most around 7.5)

It's all in the launch, If i get a bit excited it can be about 9 :wub:

PS. If your having twin 40's i may have your DGAS :)

Run it like it is while you source a spare injection head. Worth getting it skimmed to up the compression and getting the seats three angle cut. Then you can do a little porting on that and buy yourself a piper 285 cam and vernier. Put it all together, match manifolds to the head, mod the dizzy and you will be into the high sixes. Much of the work you can do yourself for almost free but you will spend closer to £250 and have 115 ish bhp at the wheels. (Keep the 38 DGAS and make an old chap happy!) :D :rolleyes:

Nigel

Simon

Just my opinion:

If you have £200-00 and your bottom end is fine I would look in all the usual places for a big valve head. These come up on Ebay usually with a cam and vernier wheel for around £170-00. Add in a head set and most of you money will be spoken for.

Although with an otherwise standard setup you may not see a great increase in power, save a little more money add on your DGAS, mod the distributor and get the car setup and your should have a decent little engine.

Ta

Shandylegs :D :D

Well, thatnks for the replys..... Longborders looked the best option but maybe a bit too much work, and not really sure what all of it means ^_^

think i will opt for a decent Cam, anyone car to offer their opinion on the which is best???? Kent or Piper?

Then a modified Dizzy if needed

And to top it off a lightened flywheel

Decent K&N Filter

All no doubt will come over budget but thats what credit cards are for :)

Anyone care to offer their opinion and talk me out of any of these mods?

Guest salty_monk

Go for the piper Cam & get a vernier pulley.

The £50 modified dizzies on here recently is a good price so I'd get one of those.

If the engine is complete then don't mess any more, if not then you could skim the head & smooth the ports a little before you refit. As stated, go for the Injection head if yours isn't... it's better ported as standard & hardened seats.

:)