Engine Change

Snapperpaul

The engine from the donor is a mess, old pinto so not 205, about every seal and gasket has leaked oil or water and to add to the problems, it's seazed..So can i change the engine on the donor V5? The donor is not on SORN as it was purchased before the regulations ( says you don't need to on the SORN form )

So can i just change the engine number on the V5 or do i need to Sorn it first. Also does it affect the emmisions alowed fitting a newer pinto?

I've got a reciept from the previouse owner of the unfinished kit that say's the donor was bought in 1997 and part 3 of the sorn (guidance notes) say's " make a sorn if the licence expired on or after 31st Jan 1998" So i am taking that as read.

An interesting point would be as we strip the donor at what time does it become scrapped, or is it a modification in progress???

Guest Tony Tank

I would check with DVLA you may have lost the vehicle id because it was not sorn'd , or reregistered with them.

I seem to remember reading about it in a magazine sometime ago, saying you had to reregister with them before a certain date.

Hope this helps.

Tank ;)

Guest chris brown
Hope this helps.
Not really Tony :p but you may be right I seem to think it was about the same time as the moratorium on wrongly registered kits ended. But may be wrong I have been known to be. ;) ;)

I have a Triumph GT6, off the road since before Sorn. It retains its identity because it has not been scrapped. Recent deadline July was for the old V5 which ceased to be legal. So I sent for a new V5C and they sent one back a couple of weeks later. Asked about Sorn in my letter and DVLA confirmed I could not declare Sorn as it was off the road when the regs came in.

The car should only be declared scrapped after you register the Robin Hood. Till then keep the Sorn going or if pre sorn do nothing but update the V5 to a V5C so you can register engine changes to keep the build single donor.

(As I understand it) :wacko:

Nigel